Thermometer/inkbird calibration

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayk34

Landlord.
Reaction score
After a few high finishing gravity beers, I decided belatedly to calibrate my thermometers as well as my inkbird.

I used ice bath and boiling water tests and found that an old digital thermometer I had for kitchen use was really quite accurate. The one I used to measure mash temps was 4°C out (too high) and my inkbird was 0.9°C out (too high).

I wanted to test out the settings for my fermenting fridge and filled my fv with 20 litres of 19.6°C water and stuck the probe onto the side of the fv and taped a sponge over it. I let it sit for 10 minutes in the fridge without the heating/cooling plugged in and the inkbird read 18.4°C. I tested with the thermometer and it read 19.4°C. now if I remove the offset that I calibrated the inkbird to I will obviously get very close to the actual temperature of the water.

I thought that read in a few places on the forum and heard on a few podcasts that the difference between the probe stuck on the side of the fv and covered was very close to the temperature of the liquid but it appears mine is almost 1°C out ?

Anyone have any thoughts on this or have similar ?

cheers.

Back