Thermopot mash tuns - any advice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My coolbox mash tun is due for an upgrade; it has some scratches in it internally that won't clean, it doesn't hold temp very well anymore, and a leaky tap allowed wort to leak into the internal insulation which is tricky to clean.

I'm thinking of upgrading to one made from a thermopot, as shiny stainless seems to be a good idea.

Do any of you lot have one? Any recommendations? Did you get one with the rubbish tap and change it for a ball valve; what did that involve? Or did you go for a centre drain? If so, what do you use to filter the mash?

I think mine is 20.5l. I added a centre drain, was easy enough but I would recommend getting a proper marine tool to tighten it if you opt for a deck drain fitting. Creating the required holes/cuts with q.max and a multi tool was fairly simple.

Bigger would of course be better, but allows me to make fairly strong 19l batches.

Not sure how easy they are to get from Germany now, but they were very reasonable when I bought mine a good few years ago.

Might be worth contacting the guys at Angel Homebrew. My BIAB system is a converted 35l SS thermopot with the default tap replaced by them with a ball valve and their workmanship is spot on.

Thanks. Do you have any kind of filter above the centre drain?

Yes, Powell Brewing made me a false bottom. Think it qas around £40, absolutel bargain as it's too quality.

I should correct myself, I have an offset bottom drain, it's not in the centre. It works well and only has 200ml of deadspace.

Managed to find a 33L one second hand. The wife had ordered me a bottom drain kit for my Christmas pressie, but we are struggling to find a source of stainless steel false bottom. Powell Brewing don't appear to be responding to emails, so who else can anyone recommend?

I made my own - I had a circle of perforated stainless steel cut by a metal supplier and made my own support / feet from 3mm SS screws with domed nuts to act as feet. The design was one I copied from a Brew Builder mash tun. I fitted the steel circle with a gasket made from split silicon tube.

It was Metal Sheets Ltd, Unit 4, Yakira Buildings, 83 Sefton Lane, Liverpool, L31 8BU. Tel. 0151 526 4777. They were very helpful. The sheet I had cut was 1mm SS with 2mm holes, 338mm diameter. It cost £59 with delivery. I had to enlarge the holes where I wanted to fit the feet / supports - ideally you would need a pillar drill for this. This is what it looked like with gasket and spacers (if the gasket is too tight in the mash tun it is very difficult to fit and remove). I no longer have this as I sold the mash tun, but it worked very well.

Mash Tun 38 litre 5.JPG

Latest posts

Back