Thermowell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borischarlton

Regular.
Reaction score
Right, I have my pid and I am basically ready to assemble everything I need for a herms set up. I have a K type temp sensor, I would think it is not waterproof so I was going to insert it into a stainless thermowell which will be used with a "T" piece that will screw into the valve on the inlet to the mash tun (hope that makes sense). The end of the sensor has a thread that is crimped onto the wire, hopefully you can see a picture

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 0516469085

My question is does the end of the sensor have to touch the end of the thermowell? Do I have to "uncrimp" it as such so it can be adjusted to suit the length of the thermowell? It may be that new ends are available but I have not done this before

Cheers

Rob

My question is does the end of the sensor have to touch the end of the thermowell?
Hi Rob, No it doesn't, it'd be better if it was or close to the end and naturally there is some 'lag' as the air is the conductor in the thermowell. You can negate this by using some heat transfer paste in the thermowell.
IIRC this was discussed recently in another thread :hmm:
I think that sensor has a screw thread on it's body, it looks like one I used to use on my HLT before I changed to PT100's. On the HLT I drilled a hole in the nordic pot wall, put a sealing washer on the nut end of the sensor assembly passed it through the wall and tightened a nut on from the inside.

This might depend on the design. On my system if the ranco probe is not inserted all the way into the thermowell my temp will be off by 10-20 degrees.

Thanks fellas. I popped into Maplins over the weekend and bought a few bits and bobs and am now ready to get started. This is going to be really useful as I can use it for sous vide cooking as well.

Cheers

Rob

Back