Thick bleach for sanitizer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have asked, how much vinegar would you use for a 10 gallon keg? Or would some warm water and a "slug" of vinegar wiped around with a cloth do?
Hi!
I had trouble with residue when I used Wizz Oxi to remove labels from bottles. I simply sloshed some vinegar around each bottle and poured it into the next - it doesn't take much. I would try a cupful of vinegar shaken around in the sealed keg then inspect the results.

I always thought that we weren't supposed to use thick bleach as it leaves a film/coating on the surface which is difficult to remove and could contaminate the beer - probably another of those homebrew half-truths
I can testify using thin bleach that wasn't thin screwed up loads of batches of beer for me. If you shake the bottle of bleach, look inside and there are foamy bubbles then it's not thin. I had this happen to me buying identical brands of supermarket thin bleach and some were completely different. I put it down to them changing between bleach types and not caring that thick bleach makes it into the thin as "Ooooh, they're getting a little treat, they are!"

Hi!
I don't like the look of that spray bottle if you plan to use it as a no-rinse sanitiser, but that's only me.
I personally thought it looked too much to be a no rinse. But I haven't read Chippy Teas links yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Milton is a no rinse sanitiser and for wine makers there is no problem not rinsing, we have had this discussion in the beer forums a few times the jury is still out on whether beer brewers should rinse.

I think for today I'll make up the Milton fluid and use some of it for a separate spray bottle

Im not sure what I could even cut the Milton spray with.

As it's my 1st brew I won't know if it's caused any off flavours

But then again the spray will only be used for fluid in the airlock, paddle etc. So any contact with the wort would probably water it down to no traces of taste?

I really wouldn't use that spray in brewing at all. It won't be the same as standard Milton that you make up. Different product entirely I suspect. Obviously up to you though!

I know this is an old thread, but for love nor money can I find thin bleach, even the few pennies a bottle are thick. I'm struggling to get chemsan, I have managed to get some Milton fluid and was wondering if you could acidise it to make it better. I do have come Camden tablets but wanted to avoid rinsing, BTW only for country wines at the moment.
Thank you, Mike

I know this is an old thread, but for love nor money can I find thin bleach, even the few pennies a bottle are thick. I'm struggling to get chemsan, I have managed to get some Milton fluid and was wondering if you could acidise it to make it better. I do have come Camden tablets but wanted to avoid rinsing, BTW only for country wines at the moment.
Thank you, Mike
Sorry just realised this is in the beer forum sorry

Back