Thick or thin mash?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been doing some research...I like both the Robo and the GF.Price wise obviously the Robo cuts it but I like the idea of a CF chiller. I like the external pump on the GF incase it needs looking at. Dave Heath says the plate filter is better than the GF filter..is it? How do people get on with late additions with the GF...I use a spiral chiller and chill to 80...DH recommends having both...ok if you've already got one.

I've used both systems albeit the Robo more extensively. For me the only two things that the GF is better is the controller and the chiller. Build quality wise they are suspiciously similar. For me it came down to the fact that for the two things I mentioned I couldn't justify the jump in price between the two. I will add that both systems are great.

I suppose the CF chiller is only useful up to the same point as a spiral...your ground water temp. As for practical use my only minor gripe is having a couple of hose pipe lengths across the kitchen to the sink as carrying the hot wort over is a big no! I tried it a few times...
If you take the cost of the CF and controller into consideration I wonder where that gets you?
Is the pump on the Robo accessible?

Not a lot of people know that (to repeat a famous misquote). I only know it because I'm an incurable tinkerer (or, as my partner prefers to put it, I fart around a lot).

Doesn't the smell effect the final taste of your beer?

My Hot water tank holds 25 ltrs. so I use this amount in all my mashes, which usually have a grain weight between 8-9 kgs. I then batch sparge twice to collect 60 ltrs. for the boil. Works well for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose the CF chiller is only useful up to the same point as a spiral...your ground water temp. As for practical use my only minor gripe is having a couple of hose pipe lengths across the kitchen to the sink as carrying the hot wort over is a big no! I tried it a few times...
If you take the cost of the CF and controller into consideration I wonder where that gets you?
Is the pump on the Robo accessible?

It isn't no, it's built into the base of the unit.

Yes the pump is built into the base of the GF same as the majority of single system inc the Robo. Regards the GF controller it is good but most brewers who like to have a more hands on approach may prefer the system on the Robo as it still has the capability of inputting automated steps into a brew such as mash temp/time Mash out temp/time and Boil time temp/time which for most is well acceptable. The main benefit of the Gf controller is it is bluetooth and can be controlled set from your smart phone via the app. To me on a personal basis I do and would probably not really use this so a system like the Robo would suffice with £s in my pocket

The pump on the GF is external...it can be dismantled if required. I work with pumps...some costing in the 10's of thousands....they still break down.

The pump on the GF is external...it can be dismantled if required. I work with pumps...some costing in the 10's of thousands....they still break down.
Sorry Clint of course it is, its sat on the side sorry for the bum info must have had a senior moment there. But just to help the enclosed pumps are easily accessible by taking off the bottom plastic cover

Watch Gash Sluggs on Youtube he has done a brew with it and explains how to get over it Clint. If you have not watched him before he is quite well respected and has the previous models of Robo's I believe

I use as dilute a mash as possible and never sparge - couldn't care less about efficiency - I now mash for 75 minutes though at 68 to 70 usually..............

I've been doing some research...I like both the Robo and the GF.Price wise obviously the Robo cuts it but I like the idea of a CF chiller. I like the external pump on the GF incase it needs looking at. Dave Heath says the plate filter is better than the GF filter..is it? How do people get on with late additions with the GF...I use a spiral chiller and chill to 80...DH recommends having both...ok if you've already got one.
You seen this @Clint ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjATegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3S8X3S4c0c81VrwalV4_TJ

I am a advocate of No Chill after a long time of immersion chilling I find it so easy, time saving and the beer comes out as clear as any other method I have used

Latest posts

Back