Thin bleach

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
Is there a shortage ? I want to soak my bottle in diluted thin bleach as I'm convinced they are the reason for my failure in brewing. But tesco ..morrisons and sainsbury don't have any.. haven't tried B&m yet.

Is there a shortage ? I want to soak my bottle in diluted thin bleach as I'm convinced they are the reason for my failure in brewing. But tesco ..morrisons and sainsbury don't have any.. haven't tried B&m yet.
I've been meaning ta ask the same question for some time. I see thick bleach referenced a lot, whereas I can only ever find unashamedly-thick bleach.

Tesco are out of stock ASDA showing in stock online.

Springforce Thin Bleach 2L

5(5)
Write a review
Springforce Thin Bleach 2L

Click here to open zoom in to image
Sorry, this product is currently unavailable
Rest of shelf

Why do you need thin bleach? I use thick bleach with no issues.
Because thick bleach has a surfactant that makes it stick to surfaces. If you use it for cleaning bottles you can end up with beer that tastes of plasters because of the polyphenols it combines into. I had about 3 batches ruined because because of it.

I've used a very-diluted solution of Tesco Thick Bleach (1 squirt in about 15L) with the last 5 or 6 bottled batches and had no issues, rinsed well 3 or 4 times.

I only started using it because I had phenols and gushers and couldn't seem to get rid of them, it seems to have worked for me.

Tesco's Fred 'n' Flo sterilising tablets are very easy to use. One tablet treats 2.3 litres.
Bought a couple of packs of these a month back due to the lack of thin bleach in Tesco and being down to my last bottle. I may switch to these permanently as I end up chucking half the bleach when it's been open too long so it'll probably work out about the same price as they're cheap.

Is it just me or is all bleach weaker than it used to be? In the 80's you'd get instant pain if it touched your skin, now you seem to be able to bath in the stuff. Or have I managed to kill by nerve endings? :laugh8:
Don't think I ever came in to contact with bleach in the 80's, the girlfriend would be lucky if I used a little Swarfega to get the motor oil off my hands after tinkering with the bikes. 🔧

Is it just me or is all bleach weaker than it used to be? In the 80's you'd get instant pain if it touched your skin, now you seem to be able to bath in the stuff. Or have I managed to kill by nerve endings? :laugh8:
Commercial bleach is 12 to 14% and feels soapy. Shop bleach is very weak in comparison. I expect shop bleach is a weak as the law allows now, whereas in the 80s it probably was much stronger. Strong bleach will eat through stainless steel - beware.

Thanks for the replies. I found some in asda.
I want to soak my bottles... then brush wash them.. then dishwasher them. Hopefully they should be after that.

Thanks for the replies. I found some in asda.
I want to soak my bottles... then brush wash them.. then dishwasher them. Hopefully they should be after that.
I use the cheap Asda stuff, bear in mind it's only 0.8% iirc so you need to use a fair bit of it, about 130ml to 1L of water.

I used to use thin bleach to clean my bottles in the bathtub. Worked fine but I recently heard that even a tiny amount of bleach that hasn't been washed off can completely ruin a batch.

Haven't used it in years. And after hearing that, won't be using it again.

I used to use thin bleach to clean my bottles in the bathtub. Worked fine but I recently heard that even a tiny amount of bleach that hasn't been washed off can completely ruin a batch.

Haven't used it in years. And after hearing that, won't be using it again.
I've had a really bad run of failed brews.ive been trying to work out why. I even used a new fermenter to eliminate it. The bottles are the only thing left so I'm on a mission to have a good brew before I spit my dummy out so I'm going to bleach the bottles.

I've had a really bad run of failed brews.ive been trying to work out why. I even used a new fermenter to eliminate it. The bottles are the only thing left so I'm on a mission to have a good brew before I spit my dummy out so I'm going to bleach the bottles.
If it's an infection, you'd like to think bleach would do the trick. Just make sure to rinse the life out of the bottles and then sanitise them.

Back