Things to do whilst self - isolating

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m working full time from home whilst simultaneously homeschooling a 6 year old and keeping a 4 year old (pre-schooler) occupied. I don’t have time to be bored - I’ve even only managed to get one brew on!
That's a heroic effort!

That's a heroic effort!
To be honest, there’s a lot of screen time involved. The teacher keeps giving us a daily timetable but it’s difficult to stick to. We have neglected the maths stuff because it’s the most hands on but it’s fractions so we’ll see if we can find some worksheets online.

It’s going to get a lot harder next week though as my wife’s work (don’t want to name them but let’s just say they should definitely know better) have decided that ALL of their staff are key workers. They are ordering her into the office starting Monday even though she has the facility to work from home (which she has been doing for the last week and a half), so I’m flying solo.

Last edited:
Standard stuff here really. Work continues just now sat in front of a computer in my bedroom rather than at work. When not working the kids (6 & 8) invariably want to do something. Watched a few more movies than usual, very pleased that we shelled out on a projection system for our front room just before Christmas, really need to finish it off a ceiling mount the projector, currently have it sat on a table, but aside from that it's good. This weekend maybe.

Wife and I are working our way through Line of Duty on the iPlayer of an evening, missed it first time around. That's if my wife can stay awake the whole hour, looking after the kids is taking it's toll. Her job's gone, was self employed running baby groups, but at least she's available for the kids.

Ramping the home brew back up, got a bit slack about it the end of last year,but I'm going to try an maintain critical mass now. Bought 3 more cornys and 3 beer kits just as it all started to kick off.

I was also supposed to be running a half marathon event this Sunday obviously cancelled but as I was so far into the training it seemed to be shame to let it go to waste so it'll be a socially distanced lone half for me tomorrow (no beer tonight). After that I'll revert back to my usual 3 runs a week schedule but with the added bonus that I can now head out during my lunch break. Might fit a bit of cycling in between times as well!

The missus has dragged us over the allotment (her project) a few times as well so I've been doing a bit of digging, weeding and other odd jobs whilst staying 2m away from other plot holders.

Easter caravan holiday has been canned obviously, no idea if we'll get away in it this year, have 2 weeks in Cornwall booked for August.

Easter caravan holiday has been canned obviously, no idea if we'll get away in it this year
We were going to have air con fitted to our caravan in April but that has been cancelled by Truma, hopefully up to Cumbria in September if Covid -19 has gone.

I’ve had to look after my son while he’s off school, he’s 5.
So like half the week I’m at home. So there’s been some ‘home schooling’, I’d like to offer thanks to handwriting books, maths books, and problem solving books the world over.
As well as ‘cooking class’ (yeah we made banana bread) and ‘brewing class’ (work that one out...!) and environmental science. This basically means an hour of the legend that is David Attenborough, followed by a series of in depth questions.
This actually works really well. He’s learnt about homing pigeons and dung beetles today.
And as I think I mentioned in another post ‘PE class’ which is basically Joe Wick. Jesus Christ that hurt my legs lol. We switched to yoga today as a bit of light relief.
And we do house work obviously.

I got my bin today straight after they came and said thanks to one of the bin men and he said "No problem - now go and wash your hands." It really was awesome.

The Tate museum(s) are doing a free online tour of the Andy warhol and Aubrey beardsley exhibitions which are now not going ahead because of the virus.

I was going to see the Aubrey Beardsley exhibition a few weeks ago but didnt have the money that week so was going to go the following week. But All the museums in London closed down that week. I'll have saved myself nine quid (usual price is 18 but I've got an art pass making half price) by seeing it for free online! :cool:

If you like fishing, there's a guy on youtube.
I've been a subscriber for a long time, his channel is TA Fishing.
It's very popular.
He's very easy to watch and entertaining.
Everything from Boat/Beach/Fly/Coarse.
Recommended.

I'm going to try and learn enough French to at least understand the locals when I hopefully get to visit my folks when this is over.

If you like fishing, there's a guy on youtube.
I've been a subscriber for a long time, his channel is TA Fishing.
It's very popular.
He's very easy to watch and entertaining.
Everything from Boat/Beach/Fly/Coarse.
Recommended.

I'm going to try and learn enough French to at least understand the locals when I hopefully get to visit my folks when this is over.

I've always like watching fishing since I was a kid (I so lazy I cant even be bothered to do a sport whereby you just sit watching some water for most of it :laugh8: ), might tune in after watching the news

I've always like watching fishing since I was a kid (I so lazy I cant even be bothered to do a sport whereby you just sit watching some water for most of it :laugh8: ), might tune in after watching the news
I think you'll like him, he's knocking on a bit, but he's a young OAP if you know what I mean.
If you want to just see lots of fish caught, his boat fishing ones are fun, or the ones where he gets sharks are entertaining :)

Sat fishing for chub on the banks of the River Bain in Horncastle many years ago when a gentleman came and sat on the bank at the back of me.

The Bain is only a small river and his white shirt and prominent position sent the fish scattering up and down the river, so after about an hour with not so much as a bite I decided to stretch my legs and go and have a natter with the gentleman.

I opened the conversation with "Do you fish?". His reply totally silenced my own prepared response, which was similar to "Go forth and multiply." when he said "Oh no. I haven't got the patience for fishing."

So, a man that could sit and watch someone for nearly an hour as he engaged in a fruitless pursuit of fish didn't have "the patience for fishing"?

He eventually left after another fruitless fifteen minutes, during which time the chub failed to return! About 50 years on and I still shake my head in wonder!

I’ve been occupying myself with going full dooms day. I’ve been extending my veg patch and turning over unused areas to veg plots. I’m going for as much self sufficiency on veg and chickens (and booze) as possible. We’ve got another family who we are friends with in our village and we have a co ordinated effort going on with them on growing our own.

you know.... just in case.....

I’ve been occupying myself with going full dooms day. I’ve been extending my veg patch and turning over unused areas to veg plots. I’m going for as much self sufficiency on veg and chickens (and booze) as possible. We’ve got another family who we are friends with in our village and we have a co ordinated effort going on with them on growing our own.

you know.... just in case.....
That's the spirit. Are your friends able to grow and malt barley? This could be a match made in heaven...

Several people I know including my neighbors have been earnestly building planters and filling with compost. It's amazing what a couple of difficult weeks queueing at Asda can do to people. asad.

Had been thinking about converting a van into a campervan for a while now. So recently have been taking plans to next level and watching various youtube videos on conversions.
Maybe will be ready to start once "this" is all over

Back