Things to do whilst self - isolating

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found these today, they are on the front nature strip and in the back garden of our holiday let.
Fly Agaric, but Porcini mushrooms always grow close by. Wasn't sure so I didn't pick any.
But getting home I checked if Fly Agaric can be eaten and they can, (without the hallucinatory effect) 15 minute boil in salted water and cider vinegar, followed by a 5 minute boil in plain water. No stalks just the head of small mushrooms.
003.JPG
004.JPG

apart from brewing, I've been doing the following:

1) Working from home
2) Making yeast starters
3) Designing AG recipes
4) Watching brewing videos on YouTube
5) Creating YouTube videos
6) Drinking beer
7) Drinking more beer
8) Online shopping (for brewing supplies)
9) Drinking more beer
10) Buying more beer because I ran out of home brew
11) Eating cheese toasties
12) Drinking beer

But what we all really want to know anything to do with brewing? 😉

We’ve been doing a quiz each week, 7 of us. This week I have to write the questions and it turns out it’s a right ******* finding ones that might be ok lol

The strange thing with wild mushrooms is that it takes more calories to find them, than anyone will ever recover from eating them :)
They taste great though.
Lesson number 1 on any escape/evasion/run away course, is ignore mushrooms.
OK, maybe not number 1, but mushrooms are a no no.

I love mushrooms :) Thick bit of meat ain't complete until it's served with mushrooms cooked with shallots and garlic.

I'm making myself hungry now LOL

All mushrooms are edible.

Some are only edible once.
There was this great documentary on BBC4 about mushrooms and they had this wonderful boffin on there that had cooked some mushrooms for his tea, went down the pub, realised his vision was going monochrome, knew why so asked the barmaid for a pen and paper and to phone and ambulance, wrote down what was wrong with him and what gubbins they should inject him with and pinned it to his shirt, finished his pint and then laid down on the pool table so he wouldn't get hurt when he blacked out. It was the uncoolest bloke telling the coolest story.

Found these today, they are on the front nature strip and in the back garden of our holiday let.
Fly Agaric, but Porcini mushrooms always grow close by. Wasn't sure so I didn't pick any.
But getting home I checked if Fly Agaric can be eaten and they can, (without the hallucinatory effect) 15 minute boil in salted water and cider vinegar, followed by a 5 minute boil in plain water. No stalks just the head of small mushrooms.
View attachment 25067View attachment 25068
Fly Agaric can be eaten? Are you serious? Nice knowing you.

No point though is there?

I mean are they really any better than some of the other ones you can get in the shops that are really tasty?

And without the hallucinations as well, I mean that's like drinking non alcoholic beer in this case innit?

I pick wild mushrooms every autumn. They are way better than anything you can get at a uk supermarket.
I know around a dozen I can reliably pick.

I pick wild mushrooms every autumn. They are way better than anything you can get at a uk supermarket.
My favourite smells are hops and marijuana, I have now added another one the smell of drying horse mushrooms. I don't have to walk far to get them they grow in the paddock next door,also taking them out of the oven hard to stop eating them.

001.JPG

These 2 loaves are full of dried mushrooms and taste is fantastic. My wife is going up to the house again to borrow a goat to eat the large blackberry thicket which in the back garden and I have told her to bring some Fly Agaric back with her so I will have a go at cooking them, not much different to getting the toxins out of kidney beans really.
https://honest-food.net/eating-santas-shroom/

I made sodium citrate and have made two ludicrously cheesy sauces with it. The sort of thing that I could write up in the Foodies forum but can't be bothered.

Ratio of 63 : 48 bicarb to citric acid by weight to make it if you want to do it and can't be faffed looking through the figures and want to go straight to recipes.

Is it true that in France if you take mushrooms you’ve picked into a chemists they legally have to be able to tell you if any are poisonous?

I heard that some where.

The sheep ate the grass and other plants, never touched the blackberry brambles only goats will eat them, doesn't matter the garden is overgrown, lots of rhododendrons and silver birch trees in the back and front garden. We are renovating the house and the builder had removed the Fly Agaric because he had his dog with him.
Trying to convince my wife to move in ourselves, it is a small town of only a 1,000 population 2 great old pubs and only 1 hour from the CBD.
There is an old artists studio in the back well away from the house which would be an ideal brew room and grain store with a new roof and some rat proofing. But the wife says no.asad.
002.JPG

Latest posts

Back