Things to do whilst self - isolating

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can still work, and am able to travel with that locally. That's a real bonus for me, and frankly my daily worklife is just like normal as far as social distancing goes! However, I usually listen to audiobooks using Audible on bluetooth headphones. I took a monthly subscription about a year ago, and listen to mainly historical war based books. Max Hastings has written a number of incredibly detailed books and I find them very interesting. I can add 3 books a month on top for a reasonable sum, and do this maybe 2-3 times a year to keep them flowing. I also find myself listening to them when doing humdrum jobs around the house and garden.
I missed out on a lot of history at school, as I was unfortunate enough to have a solid succession of history teachers who were dull, dry, and boring as hell with no enthusiasm for their subject. We got drowned in the boring minutiae of the everyday lives of peasants in outlying villages in the middle ages, but never covered the world wars, or the old monarchies, or the industrial revolution.
It's been great! And I'm finally learning stuff I missed out on.

We have purchased an N64 for a laugh, it transpires my girlfriend is a master at both Mario Kart and Tetris 64 lol.

Also I distinctly remember hearing great things about Donkey Kong 64 and frankly it sucks lol.

Seriously though my days have an almost exact same routine now..this is roughly it..maybe missing a few things like washing up and toilet breaks etc!
1/Wake up and have breakfast.
2/Play Wii Fit for 30 mins then have a shower. (So glad I kept my Wii console), play poker online
3/Read a book for a bit and then play on the Ps4/Switch until lunch.
4/Have lunch,then read or play Ps4/Switch until 4ish..
5/Run or walk round the back garden 50 times (luckily we have quite a big garden at the back)
6/have our evening meal then watch something on sky.
7/Ps4/Switch/Read until 9..
8/Watch some thing on Netflix then go to bed..and repeat..
Are you a student

My allotment has never looked better, the 2 greenhouses are full of plug plants ready to go out, I have a fantastic tan, read about 6 books, the grass is immaculate, all the household jobs are done, I've been running new routes, I've brewed all my grain and am now running out, I've exhausted all and then they announce another 3 weeks of lockdown, guess theres only sex left!

Finally managed to finish the book I have been reading for a month and a half.

My legs are still aching from yesterday’s Joe Wicks PE lesson. The man has fantastic hair but Jesus Christ his workouts are torturous lol.

This morning I found 2 bottles of Havana Club in Waitrose, so this weekend is gonna kick **** lol.
And just now I started another Stephen King lol

DIY. Gardening. Cleaning. Cooking. Playing games with the youngest - today's was setting up combined assault course and targets in the back garden and shooting them with water pistols. Once the good lady gets back from work, I'm out in my bike for my daily exercise for an hour or so.
IMG_20200415_123939.jpg

Went fishing again today, I think it is the challenge of forbidden fruit or the fact I like taking risks, no doubt when fishing and golf is a permitted pastime I won't have the inclination to go.
Took some more gear with me, stick float down the margins for 20 to 30 roach, four carp 2 landed one about 5 lb another around 12 lb lost one in the 20's only got match gear wouldn't have been able to land it anyhow. Same peg a bit more water flowing through due to some overnight rain.
004.JPG
012.JPG

014.JPG

As mentioned I'm still working. However it's interesting to note who is out and about and the volumes. I have noticed an increase in people taking Exercise walks. And by that I mean they are actually doing exactly that. Forgive my blunt language, but there is a significant increase in people who I would stereotypically judge to never normally take any exercise. I'm also seeing parents out with their children who again I would stereotypically judge to not normally do that sort of thing and just leave them to watch TV/play games etc....
I guess to simplify, a lot of people are doing new things? I wonder what the carry-over will be once this passes?

As mentioned I'm still working. However it's interesting to note who is out and about and the volumes. I have noticed an increase in people taking Exercise walks. And by that I mean they are actually doing exactly that. Forgive my blunt language, but there is a significant increase in people who I would stereotypically judge to never normally take any exercise. I'm also seeing parents out with their children who again I would stereotypically judge to not normally do that sort of thing and just leave them to watch TV/play games etc....
I guess to simplify, a lot of people are doing new things? I wonder what the carry-over will be once this passes?
I have also been pondering this.

I have been treading my local walking and running routes more often and at times when I may ordinarily be walking/running from work at lunchtime. So I don't know if I'm seeing more people out and about because I'm out more often locally, or whether the lockdown is bringing a whole swathe of society outdoors that wouldn't normally be there.

The good weather probably helps. There are definitely new runners out, people with "gym wear", football/basketball shorts, and casual trainers rather typical running kit. I think it's noticeable. I wonder how many will become converts to the outdoors and realise that is better than paying 30 quid a month for use of a treadmill?

I'm very lucky - as I do work for a number of life science-related companies, I'm actually really busy (labs around the world are working flat out for obvious reasons) - and I can do it all from home. While working, I'll listen to the radio, catch up on podcasts or put some music on. I'm actually really enjoying it!

Outside of work, I go and do some running at our local sports field, walk most evenings, get a few DIY jobs done and the garden tidied, and try and keep the photography up and I still haven't found any time to draw or paint. Oh, and drink beer at the weekend!

I think the secret to lockdown is actually very simple - focus on all the things you can still do, not the things you can't.

apart from brewing, I've been doing the following:

1) Working from home
2) Making yeast starters
3) Designing AG recipes
4) Watching brewing videos on YouTube
5) Creating YouTube videos
6) Drinking beer
7) Drinking more beer
8) Online shopping (for brewing supplies)
9) Drinking more beer
10) Buying more beer because I ran out of home brew
11) Eating cheese toasties
12) Drinking beer

Went fishing again today, I think it is the challenge of forbidden fruit or the fact I like taking risks, no doubt when fishing and golf is a permitted pastime I won't have the inclination to go.
Took some more gear with me, stick float down the margins for 20 to 30 roach, four carp 2 landed one about 5 lb another around 12 lb lost one in the 20's only got match gear wouldn't have been able to land it anyhow. Same peg a bit more water flowing through due to some overnight rain.
View attachment 24723View attachment 24725
View attachment 24726
Foxy, although I don't condone you going fishing when you're not supposed to be, I am intrigued by which river you were on? Just realised you're in Oz which would explain the roach/carp mixed bag.

Last edited:
Forgive my blunt language, but there is a significant increase in people who I would stereotypically judge to never normally take any exercise

I am still working and can honestly say i have never seen so many fat people out jogging i cannot imagine them stopping once this is over (as it could be months) many will have lost a good few pounds by then and will have got the fitness bug.

(being abit of a fatty i am allowed to say that) :laugh8:

Last edited:
I'm working from home with a 7 month year old baby.

So working and changing napies.

I am still working and can honestly say i have never seen so many fat people out jogging i cannot imagine them stopping once this is over (as it could be months) many will have lost a good few pounds by then and will have got the fitness bug.
First think poorly knees.
And I reckon it will be like the annual surge in gym membership in January, all but a distant memory come July

(being abit of a fatty i am allowed to say that) :laugh8:

I am very careful with my language on that account, as I am very slim, and always have been, and can eat pretty much any quantity of anything! However I fully appreciate and totally respect any severely overweight person trying to do something about it.
I have seen an very overweight lady around where I work over the past year out jogging on and off. She started with nothing more than an uncomfortable amble that vaguely looked like an attempt to jog, she got better and turned it into a slow jog. Over time I could see here losing weight slowly, and becoming more fluid and able. She actually looked happier too. The last time I saw her she was cracking along at a good pace, and still steadily trying. She was doing this by herself as well, no personal trainer or anyone egging her on. It struck me that she was quite probably making a massive change in her life, after what might have been a life-long struggle with weight. I have nothing but complete admiration for her, and others doing the same.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back