think i may have messed up brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablox1x

Reaction score
I am brewing my first wherry and I'm not sure it is going to plan. I could not take the OG as my hydrometer broke. The wherry was in primary fermentation for 7 days and the airlock stopped bubbling after 5 days. Transfered to barrel and it has been in for 3 days I have just received my replacement hydrometer and the gravity reading is 1020. Is 1020 ok at this point in the process?
Thanks in advance
Paul

Assuming the barrel has a pressure release it should be OK, might be worth loosening the cap periodically just in case though.

If you primed it then you might want to let it all ferment out then re-prime.

In future, as a rule of thumb, keep it in primary for 14 days then keg and prime it.

1020 sounds a little high but the barrel should have a presure relief valve so should be ok. i would leave it somewhere warm for a least another week and then place it somewhere cool to mature.

It is currently in a room sitting at approx 14c should I turn the heat belt back on and should I release the cap to let some pressure go? Thanks

I have put the belt on which should bring temp back up to 21c I have also released some pressure from the barrel as suggested. What do I do now just keep taking readings. Do I need to add sugar again?

you shouldn't need to add any more sugar, just try and keep the temp around the 20c mark for the next 7 days, then place in a cool place for around 4 weeks (although if it were mine i would have a sneaky taste after a couple of weeks :twisted: ) to mature.

Latest posts

Back