Think i messed up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dai123

Reaction score
Hiya did a mangrove jacks ipa grapefruit yesterday but stupidly left the yeast in the bag while I submerged in hot water to soften malt extract checked on it just now and looks like nothing is happening thinking now I may have killed the yeast can I do anything now or just see how it goes ?
Thanks

I guess the yeast was in a plastic pack. I would think it would be ok. When you say nothing is happening, what have you checked?

Those MJ pouches are terrible if you don't know that the yeast, hops and instructions are in a pouch to the side of the malt extract.

What temperature do you think the
pouch reached when you heated it?

You 'may' have killed the yeast if the temperature was too high. If you have then you could buy some more from Crossmyloof (cheap and fast delivery) or go to Wilkos and buy some of their Gervin ale yeast.

Which yeast was supplied?

If it was MJ M44 then I have found it to be a really slow starter. Sometimes it can be up to 48 hours before I can see any activity. Just when I'm about to give up and pitch some more, a krausen starts to form.

Move the fv somewhere slightly warmer and give it 48 hours before starting to panic. In the meantime, buy some more yeast and keep it in the fridge as a back up

Temp was hot water from tap plus a kettle load sat for about 5-10 minutes and yes it was the MJ M44 yeast so I've just moved it to a slightly warmer place and I'll call to wilkos to grab some yeast tomorrow as back up
Cheers

Temp was hot water from tap plus a kettle load sat for about 5-10 minutes and yes it was the MJ M44 yeast so I've just moved it to a slightly warmer place and I'll call to wilkos to grab some yeast tomorrow as back up
Cheers
Why do you think it isn't doing anything?

No bubbling from airlock just looks same as yesterday when I pitched it

I never use an airlock, just unclip part of the lid and leave for 10 to 14 days until I take a gravity reading. FVs are not necessarily airtight so sometimes there is little bubbling.

I'll qualify the above. I do use an airlock if I'm making a small batch in a demijohn as I know the rubber bung makes a tight fit. I cannot get the same level of fit using a plastic fv as there always seems to be a leak somewhere (around lid, around grommit or around the airlock itself). So I save the hassle and never bother for a plastic fv.

I just bottled up my first batch of Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA yesterday. Mine started to bubble after around 12 hours. And was very active at 36 hours. I added the dry hops at day 10 and bottled on day 14.
Perhaps the yeast is dead. A fresh packet should get you going. Best of luck. It tastes great even just from the trial jar.

Attachments

• 9EA4F4D0-E8EF-4D32-AC21-BBF9439B8B4C.jpeg
    9EA4F4D0-E8EF-4D32-AC21-BBF9439B8B4C.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 60
  • CE51CFC2-4F0B-412E-B7BE-B0A9B6DFF5F8.jpeg
    CE51CFC2-4F0B-412E-B7BE-B0A9B6DFF5F8.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 31303434-59E4-4CAB-B3D1-EECD39AD6E7A.jpeg
    31303434-59E4-4CAB-B3D1-EECD39AD6E7A.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 65
Hiya did a mangrove jacks ipa grapefruit yesterday but stupidly left the yeast in the bag while I submerged in hot water to soften malt extract checked on it just now and looks like nothing is happening thinking now I may have killed the yeast can I do anything now or just see how it goes ?
Thanks
Hi I’ve got a mangrove jacks Irish stout that I pitched on Saturday lunchtime & no activity until Sunday afternoon then it went mad, hopefully yours will start, if not pitch some of the wilko yeast, good luck, great quality kits but not very practical I had to feel for the side of the pouch to work out how to get to the dry ingredients then pierced it with a sharp knife, the beer it very good though.

I see so many comments like this on beer and wines

Make a starter and your beer will be bubbling within a few hrs not days.

Update guys after 48 hours of nothing it's gone off with a bubbling like crazy so I'm happy now
Cheers guys
Fantastic news. Great and best of luck with it. I’m looking forward to trying mine in a few weeks.

Back