Thinking going back to corni kegs!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,
Been humming n harring for ages!
Had a few in the past n all the trimming for my beers...but I was a bit is Put of with the rig maroll of get co2 and all that, and it the time I was trying to build a kegerator..
So! I'll would like one corni keg for the moment.
All the pipes and regulators etc I'll have the-learn unfortualy I've forgot it all!!!
Please be gentle with me...lol
I'm not the brightest bulb in the shop!
Anyways any help starting with a corni keg...pipe fittings..regulator..co2 tanks etc..
Once I've got the the rest is looking on my old threads, YouTube etc.
Thanks so much

Anyone local to you who can show you? its much easier if you can see for yourself, than trying to explain

TBH!! Once I see the set up...maybe memories will come back...but in the mean time will take time...frustrating tbh!! Not as bad as a full memory loss two years ago!
Yeah! There someone I can ask!
Tbc

TBH!! Once I see the set up...maybe memories will come back...but in the mean time will take time...frustrating tbh!! Not as bad as a full memory loss two years ago!
Yeah! There someone I can ask!
Tbc

If someone isn't local try google images or youtube

It was Twostage I sold my corni's
Pm'd him.
So I'll see what's the crack.
Yeah the next step is going on YouTube and seeing all the setup etc.
Visually would be easier for me..lol
Thank u

Bri, before you take the plunge, have you considered sankey style kegs? the sankey coupler is a simpler single attachment, and has much fewer perishable o-rings and is therefore much less prone to leaks and losses. And there is no dodgy lid to seal either..

the downside of the SS sankey kegs is that they are not available 2nd use that often which means paying full retail price. However there are much cheaper 'single use' options such as polykegs or ecokegs which are basically 30l pet bottles with a sankey screwtop designed for single use but ... ;) there have been a couple of 2nd hand poly kegs resold by brewers who have bought a couple of hunderd from a brewer and cleaned and passed on to the rest of us @ <£10 + pnp i think you can buy new via ebay for circa £30

And the 30l capacity means you can keg a 23-25l brew in one without having to mess about with half a dozen or so bottles when you keg a 5 gallon brew in a 19l corny..

however the larger size also means you can only fit one in a standard under the counter fridge..

Bri, before you take the plunge, have you considered sankey style kegs? the sankey coupler is a simpler single attachment, and has much fewer perishable o-rings and is therefore much less prone to leaks and losses. And there is no dodgy lid to seal either..

the downside of the SS sankey kegs is that they are not available 2nd use that often which means paying full retail price. However there are much cheaper 'single use' options such as polykegs or ecokegs which are basically 30l pet bottles with a sankey screwtop designed for single use but ... ;) there have been a couple of 2nd hand poly kegs resold by brewers who have bought a couple of hunderd from a brewer and cleaned and passed on to the rest of us @ <£10 + pnp i think you can buy new via ebay for circa £30

And the 30l capacity means you can keg a 23-25l brew in one without having to mess about with half a dozen or so bottles when you keg a 5 gallon brew in a 19l corny..

however the larger size also means you can only fit one in a standard under the counter fridge..

Thx Fil
I've got some reading up on!!
Thx pal...
I'll look now..

That deal does look good. The Malt Miller is selling a similar package. Tenner more, but a brand new keg rather than a reconditioned one in the eBay link.

The tap is a picnic style one, however, so depends if you plan on drilling holes through the fridge door for the taps, or would be happy keeping it all inside the fridge.

http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2472

This awful thought come to me!!
Who's going to drink the Ale?
Hmmmm!!! I'll have take up supping again..and invite people ova!!
I'm trying a full bottle tonight of stout.
If I'm still alive in the morning I'll shout! Haha!

That deal does look good. The Malt Miller is selling a similar package. Tenner more, but a brand new keg rather than a reconditioned one in the eBay link.

The tap is a picnic style one, however, so depends if you plan on drilling holes through the fridge door for the taps, or would be happy keeping it all inside the fridge.

http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2472

Thx pal..
Just remembered that that party picnic style was a load of ****!
Thinking drilling holes and getting proper taps n stuff!!
Why not..with the dosh I'm going to spend might do it reet!
That's another project once the fridge get sorted a fridge for holding the corni's...
Off to look at corni set up again..hope the memory flood quick lol

I've bought the corni kit!
But I'll work out what to do next!...
I.e a better tap...where to buy co2...(thinking second hand was more hassle that owt else!!)
Started looking at force carbonation..now looking at getting the right length of beer line..balancing I think it's said?
It will be a slow process! Coz I don't want to jump in...
TBH if I get the kit set up...(with the party tap) it's a start Anyways!
I mentioned mounting a tap on a fridge eventually...that means a fridge would be a sole fridge for cooling the corni(s) unless I've got no beers/lager fermenting...
A lot to think of with the ferm fridge thread tbh!
Any suggestions and tip I'll be apriciated...coz you know that you'll know obvious things that my tiny brain hasn't thought about!! I don't mind I'll learn and take it slow!! Better to safe n sorry!!
Yes for all I've had a set up before and used co2 in the corni kegs and co2 ingestion for tropical fish years ago...due to faded memories I'm still looking at safely with the tank and regulator etc.
Hence starting slow at each phase and learning the next one...
All good skills...

Hi!
Try here for CO2:
http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/product-category/home-bar/

Looks like £55 deposit on first bottle then about £19 to fill and refill. I suppose there'll be shipping on top of that!

I'm getting mine in Donny for £65, filled, then £20 refill.

There was a post saying Elderberry Home Brew Centre did gas in 2013 - might be worth a phone call.

Colin

Hi!
Try here for CO2:

Looks like £55 deposit on first bottle then about £19 to fill and refill. I suppose there'll be shipping on top of that!

I'm getting mine in Donny for £65, filled, then £20 refill.

There was a post saying Elderberry Home Brew Centre did gas in 2013 - might be worth a phone call.

Colin

Thx Colin
I'll look shortly pal!!
Off furniture shopping at the metro!! Deep joy!!

Hi!
Try here for CO2:

Looks like �£55 deposit on first bottle then about �£19 to fill and refill. I suppose there'll be shipping on top of that!

I'm getting mine in Donny for �£65, filled, then �£20 refill.

Colin

which one...confused already...:doh:

You dont need a keg fridge, however it will make life easier,
But if you have a spot that you can maintain a constant cool temp, it can be done. I manage most of the year OK needing a shelf chiller for the summer months.
It does involve a bit more active management of the co2 pressure and the natural level of condition can swing somewhat with the seasons meaning i can serve some fizzy bitters mid winter.
You can also use a bit more co2 as its always wise to vent a keg prior to pouring from it to counter any condition loss and overpressurisation of the keg.

shelf chillers cant be enclosed without overheating and can be quite noisy in a quiet home, so if your pockets are deep you could look at a flash chiller like the pygmys http://www.lindr.cz/products/pygmy-25k These connect to a keg and are ready to serve chilled beer at the flick of a switch..

even with a party tap its a good idea to insert a length of restricting 3/16" microline before the tap if you intent to keep kegs at condition maintaining levels of pressure. without it you will need to reduce the keg pressure to nominal to serve foam free..

You dont need a keg fridge, however it will make life easier,
But if you have a spot that you can maintain a constant cool temp, it can be done. I manage most of the year OK needing a shelf chiller for the summer months.
It does involve a bit more active management of the co2 pressure and the natural level of condition can swing somewhat with the seasons meaning i can serve some fizzy bitters mid winter.
You can also use a bit more co2 as its always wise to vent a keg prior to pouring from it to counter any condition loss and overpressurisation of the keg.

shelf chillers cant be enclosed without overheating and can be quite noisy in a quiet home, so if your pockets are deep you could look at a flash chiller like the pygmys http://www.lindr.cz/products/pygmy-25k These connect to a keg and are ready to serve chilled beer at the flick of a switch..

even with a party tap its a good idea to insert a length of restricting 3/16" microline before the tap if you intent to keep kegs at condition maintaining levels of pressure. without it you will need to reduce the keg pressure to nominal to serve foam free..

hmmmmmmmmm! tell me more:lol:
like the look at it, but how much? my internet is acting up!
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH3d5NxLuQE[/ame]

Latest posts

Back