Thinking of doing a cider which kit is best

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I do AG beers normally and have only ever done a cider many years ago but thinking of doing a cider kit and flavour it with Lowicz juice so which kits are the best for this Ps the first and only cider I did had a yeasty taste to it is this a trait of some kits?
Its not for me as I do not drink cider but for friends when they come around if that ever happens this summer

Whilst not a kit, I was pleasantly surprised with turbo cider.

I used a mix of Sainsbury's and Asda juices because Sainsbury's is red apple and Asda green by ratio of 1:2.

General consensus is to make plain apple cider and use the flavoured cordials after to provide the sweetness as an alternative to artificial sweeteners.

Personally I prefer the Youngs Premium Cider kits as their flavourings taste more natural than some of the others.

I must admit that I happily tolerate artificial flavours in sweets but for some strange reason not in ciders.

Ciderworks do a nice apple cider kit. All my beers are AG but in normal times I regularly make cider using this kit. It lasts well too, because of the last year’s restrictions I have some in bottles that are about 18 months old and still taste good. Got mine from LoveBrewing.

The only cider kit I've ever made was the Ciderworks Oaked Apple, it was okay but I'm not sure if it was worth doing over a turbo cider. Thinking of making a turbo cider at some point and adding some oak chips to it.

I've done the Bulldog premium apple cider a few times. I wouldn't say I'm a cider connoisseur but it simple and quick to make. I enjoyed it and so has anyone else I've served it to.

Whilst not a kit, I was pleasantly surprised with turbo cider.

I used a mix of Sainsbury's and Asda juices because Sainsbury's is red apple and Asda green by ratio of 1:2.

General consensus is to make plain apple cider and use the flavoured cordials after to provide the sweetness as an alternative to artificial sweeteners.
Il second this, though tbh I have never tried a kit but Lidl apple juice made a turbo cider I really like and much cheapness. Also think it would carry other flavours well if you are shooting for something a bit more creative.

Latest posts

Back