Third week in a row..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stz

Regular.
Reaction score
Another split batch today..

5% honey malt
5% golden naked oats
5% torrified oats
85% extra pale malt

Bit more sulphate than usual. 150:200ppm SO4:Cl2. Lactic as usual to give 0-10rA. Mashed at 65C for 60m. Sparge was quicker than usual, still got 85% efficiency. Started doing this thing where instead of sparging the lot slowly I collect the first runnings fast almost like a batch sparge, fully open so I can get on with the boil, then sparge the rest at the usual speed. Half way through I stop, resuspend the mash with extra liquor, vorlauf again and resume to minimise the impact of any dead space. I do this with anything which could be sticky as the run off slows considerably otherwise. Straight barley with a few percent of something is usually good as gold.

I'm no longer on the fence regarding vorlaufing. I used to just run the lot in, bits and all and the wort looking like milk for the first third. I used to just recirculate until there were no bits and carry on with the milk. I now vourlauf until it is quite clear and have noticed WAY WAY WAY less protein in the copper which makes my filters, pump and plate chiller very happy and collection much faster/easier/less problematic.

Collected 60L. 30 minute boil. No fining. 200g citra, 150g motueka, 100g el dorado and 50g chinook at flame out. Whirlpool started and chilling water on, run for 15 minutes before collecting. Approx 24L x 2.

One has been given 2mg amyloglucosidase. The other has not. Pitched mix of windsor and us05. Ferm temp 21C. Dry hopping to follow.

This is my third split batch in as many weeks now. This will be 6 kegs laid up for a party.

Agree, I follow a few brewers on twitter, all appear to pride themselves on the clarity of wort going into the kettle. Just makes better beer in my opinion.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I don't know about better beer, but I do know you'll be cleaning it out of where ever it ends up! FV isn't so bad (yeast food?!) pump and chiller is hello darkness my old friend ... filter in the copper and copper in general reduces effective fill level ever so slightly and is just difficult to clean, in the compost with the spent grains is WAY easier.

I've always understood it that it keeps lipids and phenols (tannins) out of the kettle.

pssssh I'd have to AB it to get an idea if it made 'better' beer and things get so subjective.
Obviously bits going through into the copper is no good, but phenol extract is more pH and temperature and I don't think I've ever taken a late running lower than about 1.012 anyway so that wouldn't be much of a concern for me. If you've an under back you can physically see the point where the alkalinity of the water exhausts the buffering capacity of the mash and the pH shoots up, the late runnings turn into tea.
Lipids wouldn't concern me personally though I'm sure there are those who worry about oxidisation and rancidity.

Recently this beer was recalled due to oxidisation in can. Brewery claimed it was due to large amounts of oats in the mash causing oxidisation. My first thoughts would be right ... ok...

https://untappd.com/b/unbarred-brewery-so-hot-right-now/2717438

Look at the picture sof it. It isn't supposed to look like brown pond water.

Yeah, there's a historic paper somewhere on wileyonline about Oats and rancidity.

I was thinking more of the head retention impact of lipids. As for time and temperature and astringency, I can't imagine an hours boil will help, if some of that milky haze is fine particles of husk.

As you say, it would take an AB trial to determine. Something I won't be doing. The filtration benefits of vorlaufing are enough reason to.

No doubt someone will link a Brulosophy experiment to debunk all this conjecture. [emoji23]

Latest posts

Back