This weekends Dubbel! Feedback welcome :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobjack

Reaction score
Hey all!

Can't wait for the weekend to roll around, brewing my third Dubbel and trying to nail a recipe. Obviously I'll let you all know how it turns out. I'm going to make my own Candi sugar or syrup too :)

I've got the following, feedback on the recipe and method would be most welcome!

Pils malt: 4.5kg
Munich malt: 650g
Aromatic: 250g
Special B: 230g
Wheat: 250g

5.88kg (12.34lbs) total grain bill

Dark Candi Sugar: 750g (added at last 20 mins of boil)

6.63kg (13.8lbs) total fermentables

Hops:
Hallertau – 60mins
Saaz – Last 15

Yeast: White labs WLP500 or Wyeast 1214

Method:

Mash at 64-65 for 90 minutes. Sparge and bring boil volume to approx. 6 gallons.

Boil for 75 minutes, add candi sugar & last hop addition at 60 minutes.

Have you had a look ever at this site?
http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html
I have the Rochefort 10 conditioning presently. What's apparent is most of the dubbels are simply base malt plus candy sugar and occasionally a single adjunct.
I'd forget the 15 min addition personally and take all your ibu's from the boil. From a hop perspective this should be your cheapest ever brew because the ibu's will be very low, Belgians apparently are all about the yeast.

Have you had a look ever at this site?
http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html
I have the Rochefort 10 conditioning presently. What's apparent is most of the dubbels are simply base malt plus candy sugar and occasionally a single adjunct.
I'd forget the 15 min addition personally and take all your ibu's from the boil. From a hop perspective this should be your cheapest ever brew because the ibu's will be very low, Belgians apparently are all about the yeast.
That’s a good site. I have a GEB custom grain kit sitting ready to do a Dubbel in a couple of weeks, but I’ll keep this in mind fthe to next time because they have a Weatmalle Dubbel clone on there!

make sure you use proper belgian candy syrop and not sugar. also I would suggest a simple step mash, say 30 min at 61 and 60 min and 68. Belgians love their step mashes.

Back