THOMAS COOK STORES SAVED

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
BBC Newcatle have stated that the above have been bought by Hayes Travel so all of they're UK stores have been bought by them hand jobs have been saved which is good news.

No idea why given it was the stores that were hugely loss-making and the airline that was profitable.

I guess they have a plan nd they have done well so far.

What is Hays' plan? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49985369

Ian Bell, head of travel and tourism at accountancy firm RSM, said it was a "shrewd move" for Hays, but would also represent a quadrupling of its travel agency stores at a time when customers are increasingly booking holidays online.

"Much may depend on the deals that Hays can strike with its new High Street landlords," said Mr Bell.

As Hays bought the stores from the administrators, it means it will have bought them at a lower price than if Thomas Cook was still trading.

Julie Palmer, partner at Begbies Traynor, said that in waiting, Hays had got a "best price" for the stores.

However, she questioned the logic for the transaction at a time when customers are turning away from High Street travel agents.

"You have to wonder what Hays' plan is and how they can make it a success.

"Has the travel firm been gung-ho in trying to secure a cheap deal without assessing the viability of taking on these stores?," she asked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49985369

I fear it is a reprieve rather than a save of all the stores as it is online business that has caused most of the viability problems with actual high street stores and I think good hearted as the takeover by a family based firm they will have to cull many shops and asset strip any shops that are owned if any. The proof of the pudding will be how it stands in 12 months time. I sincerely hope they make it work and keep as many as possible employees on but the cold world of business will have to come into play and it can be so cruel as people just become a bottom line figure

Good marketing move from a firm most people probably haven't heard of. get some new stores, potentially at lower rates in key positions, have trained and knowledgeable staff ready to go straight away and look like they are saving jobs. In all likelihood, most stores will probably close down over time as its a dead format.

When the news came out about it closing down, most of my team at work were disappointed they wouldn't be able to go in anymore.... to take the brochures, before booking with another company online.

Business is too slow to adapt.

Just hope the staff dont end up unemployed or on zero hrs contract.

Personally if i were a YOUNG Thomas Cook employee, I would be down the re-training centre as fast as my little legs could take me.

Two of the local to me TC's have reopened, both always appeared to be fairly busy in the past, in good locations.

Latest posts

Back