Thoroughly enjoying restarting all this after 35 years

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2131tom

Reaction score
On retiring a few months ago and with time to now do what I want to do (within reason), I've revisited winemaking, which is something I left off 35 years ago. My old Boots kit and caboodle has long since been thrown out so I've had to start again.

That's no bad thing as I'm finding the new style stuff that's available is so much better than I remember. In particular, the yeasts are a revelation, with a speed and reliability that I can't recall seeing before. The Wilco hardware has come in handy too, with the larger FVs being particularly useful.

On the actual winemaking, so far I've stuck to some kits (Youngs, then Beaverdale and Kenridge) and a few batches of country wines - I've been using a load of spare beetroot and quite a few parsnips from the allotment I've taken on. Although it's not had chance to age yet, none of it has turned out bad (the opinion of friends and acquaintances, not just me) and I've been thoroughly enjoying myself.

I'm looking to develop my renewed interest by learning more from your very comprehensive website, and tentatively post where I think comments might be useful.

Regards,

Tom.

On retiring a few months ago and with time to now do what I want to do (within reason), I've revisited winemaking, which is something I left off 35 years ago. My old Boots kit and caboodle has long since been thrown out so I've had to start again.

That's no bad thing as I'm finding the new style stuff that's available is so much better than I remember. In particular, the yeasts are a revelation, with a speed and reliability that I can't recall seeing before. The Wilco hardware has come in handy too, with the larger FVs being particularly useful.

On the actual winemaking, so far I've stuck to some kits (Youngs, then Beaverdale and Kenridge) and a few batches of country wines - I've been using a load of spare beetroot and quite a few parsnips from the allotment I've taken on. Although it's not had chance to age yet, none of it has turned out bad (the opinion of friends and acquaintances, not just me) and I've been thoroughly enjoying myself.

I'm looking to develop my renewed interest by learning more from your very comprehensive website, and tentatively post where I think comments might be useful.

Regards,

Tom.

Hiya, if you want some wine experiments then take a look in the WoW thread, lots of combinations to be had from cartons of fruit juice, or if you fancy getting super experimental then a combination of country and WoW wines, the world is your DJ.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back