Threaded fitting issues (PT100 probe)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all,

I recently bought two PT100s from eBay.

I'd made an offer on three a couple of weeks back, the counter offer was pretty much the asking price so I didn't progress.

I then received an email from eBay advising an item I'd been looking at had dropped in price. Without checking (fatal error) I bought the remaining two.

When they arrived it was clear the thread is not 1/2" as per my other one (also from eBay) and the ones I'd made offers on and looked at.

The packaging and eBay listing state that the thread is M16 1.5.

I'm having issues figuring out what I can do here.

I bought a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer (having read that 1/4" was a common probe size) but this is too small.

Ideally I want to site this within a 1/2" tee so am happy to get another reducing bush, but can anyone help me convert M16 to imperial?

Would 3/8" be any good? I have plenty of loctite.

Thanks, struggling to find any reducers of that size so may have to put this one down to experience and get some new 1/2" probes.
Look online for an adapter, I am thinking the 1/2 inch is BSP, tapping drill for 3/8 BSP is 15.25 mm so thread tape and you may be able to fluke it.

Last edited:
Two years later I have bought another PT100, this time described as 1/2" NPT.

It's arrived today and lo-and-behold is M16 x 1.5.

I looked at the adapters, but the stainless ones are quite expensive.

Clearly I'm destined not to get one from eBay. Will order from a homebrew shop now I think.

Back