Tilt Hydrometer leaking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_S

Reaction score
I currently own two of these devices, one is five months old, the other one less than three weeks old.

The oldest one has recently started letting moisture in. It‘s never been dropped and only ever opened up when I noticed the moisture inside.

Anybody have experience of this ?

I currently own two of these devices, one is five months old, the other one less than three weeks old.

The oldest one has recently started letting moisture in. It‘s never been dropped and only ever opened up when I noticed the moisture inside.

I have just finished using mine after one batch of beer. I cleaned it and noticed that moisture had got into the device and rusted some of the electronics near the battery. Crazy really...I've contacted the supplier to see if I can return it. Really disappointed as I never opened the device so was putting faith in the manufacturer that it was airtight. It's proper put me off using them, especially for the price!

Attachments

• IMG_20210914_195422.jpg
    IMG_20210914_195422.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 55

Are you absolutely sure it's leaking as opposed to "there's a bit of condensation" inside?

Plastics can absorb moisture (a bit like a sponge really) due to humidity in the environment prior to assembly.

Under certain conditions this moisture can then be released to form condensation inside what is a sealed and unopened box.

(It's one of the potential causes of fogging on the inside of modern automotive headlights)

This doesn't cure the issue but it might explain what's happening and why.

From memory I think I've noticed a bit of condensation inside my Tilts when I've removed them from the FV but it hasn't ever caused me any concern. Clean it and dry it, then store it somewhere warm and dry (e.g. normal room conditions) and I expect you'll see the condensation clear up

As @Cubbish says though, long term that moisture might not be great for the electronic parts inside!

Definitely leaking. Dried it out several times and tested again in just water. Same result every time. Close inspection revealed micro cracks all around the thread section

Definitely leaking. Dried it out several times and tested again in just water. Same result every time. Close inspection revealed micro cracks all around the thread section

It's the same story for me...I actually managed to get a replacement unit free of charge from The Malt Miller, those guys are always amazing. I decided to open the faulty Tilt open for the first time, fully aired it and then resealed it and it still leaks. I used the official tool for this as well. Crazy for the price.

Back