Tiltpi - any users

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a tilt hydrometer and have been using it a couple of years now, logging to a raspberry pi and uploading to brewfather. However recently I changed broadband providers to virgin fibre, and now I can't access the pi. I have updated the network settings and can see the ip address of the tiltpi, but it does not log to my email and I can't access it via its ip address.

I wondered if anyone is successfully using tiltpi and could provide some help.
Thanks

My problem is slightly different, but steps to rectify it might be the same?

I could see the Tiltpi app on the network, but it inexplicably stopped connecting to the Tilt (changed its battery too). But I'd be meaning to install "V2", now I've got an excuse! Before you get any support you'll be asked if you've installed Version 2 (Feb 2020 release) so may as well. As the initial installation went so smoothly (geek-free zone) I expect this installation to go smoothly too.

Tilt™ Pi v2 Buster Feb20 (Raspberry Pi SD Card Image Download)

Have you installed it?

My problem id slightly different, but steps to rectify it might be the same?

I could see the Tiltpi app on the network, but it inexplicably stopped connecting to the Tilt (changed its battery too). But I'd be meaning to install "V2", now I've got an excuse! Before you get any support you'll be asked if you've installed Version 2 (Feb 2020 release) so may as well. As the initial installation went so smoothly (geek-free zone) I expect this installation to go smoothly too.

Have you installed it?
Yes I have installed the latest version. When I changed broadband suppliers instead of just updating the network id and password I decided to use the latest version. I've been contacting the guys that made the tilt but their suggestions haven't worked so far. I tried going back to the old software version as that worked before but no luck. I'm thinking it's something to do with the network but I don't know much about such things and struggling to find what it's causing the issue. It's very annoying to be able to see the tiltpi on the network but not being able to connect to it!

Ah, "network"? Not a "geek-free zone"!

You are trying to connect with ... what? I was using Windows 10 and "Edge" but I have changed to Google Chrome because it better works as an "application" (I know Edge is a version of Chrome, but it's not the same).

Chrome on my mobile, that's what I used before and worked fine, so I assumed it would be fine this time. They suggested making sure AP isolation was switched off which it was so I'm not sure what else to try

Another option I'm looking to try is the "HDMI version". If you can temporarily connect your Pi to an HDMI monitor? No network!

Can you connect to the Tilt directly with the phone (i.e. by Bluetooth directly)?

That's a good idea about the hdmi, might try that! I'll have to check about the Bluetooth to the tilt. I have done previously yes, but not recently

Another option I'm looking to try is the "HDMI version". If you can temporarily connect your Pi to an HDMI monitor? No network!

Can you connect to the Tilt directly with the phone (i.e. by Bluetooth directly)?
Just checked and yes I can access it through Bluetooth on my phone. Can do that as a backup but really loved the auto logging from tiltpi so hopefully I can get that working

My problem is slightly different, but steps to rectify it might be the same?

Have you installed it?
Installation went smoothly as expected (still a geek free zone). Needed Wi-fi name (SSID) and password as expected, plus the Gmail email account name you're using. And:
Capture.JPG

... everything back to normal again! All the calibration stuff needs re-entering (calibration is "per client" not "per device" which is done in the factory).

So, until next time it decides to blink out? 🤔

I've installed the HDMI version 'cos there seems little point saving the space (the smallest microSD card these days is 16Gb and costs less than a fiver).

Back