TiltPi Calibration?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
I've got this Tilt Hydrometer and I am monitoring it with a Raspberry PI (3 B+) running the free "TiltPi" downloadable image. At first I was very cautious about the TiltPi expecting it to be way too geeky, but its not like that at all and a complete doddle to set up.

Except for, I'm having trouble calibrating it. There are no instructions! At the moment I'm guessing and have this "two-point" calibration (values separated by spaces - not tested over a wide range but it is reading that "uncalibrated SG" as 1.019-1.020 which seems to be good):

TiltPi5.JPG

Anyone know better?

Scripting these questions is a great way of getting the brain working again! So I tried a few things and space "delimiting" does naff all, but comma delimiting seems to work:

TiltPi6.JPG

Unless of course, anyone knows better?

All this twaddle sort of shoots down my claim that "TiltPi" isn't geeky. But this "comma delimited" bumf is honestly the only "geekiness" I've stumbled across.

The second and third fields are filled by the app. They are separated by a comma, no spaces. As you add more calibrations the true and actual readings appear in the second and third fields. But mine was spot on out of the box. It is factory calibrated and you should only need to calibrate after changing the battery. This accounts for slight differences in weight of batteries.

So, if you need to calibrate, put the Tilt in a sugar water mix and measure the temp. When the Tilt has stabilised enter the true values for SG and temp in "Actual" and press 'ENTER'

The uncalibrated and calibrated temps will appear in fields 2 and three. Now put the Tilt in another mix of sugar and water and repeat.

Latest posts

Back