Timber for keezer collar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have all I need do my keezer build, except for the timber needed for the collar. Is there any particular type I should avoid, or is there a particular type that is well suited? My plan is to insulate the inside of the collar. I have some old engineered wood flooring left over from the previous house owner, but it seems a little thin to be using on my keezer.

You want good stout battens. I used some 95x45 timbers from Homebase, simply because that was what they had available at short notice and I was impatient to get mine built. You need to make sure you have enough head space for your kegs, lines, taps, etc. I think mine are planed pine, to which I added four good coats of water resistant varnish to keep it looking good. Also be aware that your freezer lid is probably bevelled on the inner edge, so take account of this with your timber spacing.

Cut the timbers to size & glued/screwed/siliconed together, then varnished liberally, then silicone to the freezer body.

I only mention the bevelled lid because, well, I kinda missed that on mine and had to chamfer the inner edges of my timbers at 45 degrees to make the lid fit
o_O

50157594558_62f1d7b255_o.jpg
50158383537_e593c614f2_o.jpg

I have all I need do my keezer build, except for the timber needed for the collar. Is there any particular type I should avoid, or is there a particular type that is well suited? My plan is to insulate the inside of the collar. I have some old engineered wood flooring left over from the previous house owner, but it seems a little thin to be using on my keezer.
I used studwork stained with a couple of coats colron wood dye and sprayed with a couple of coats of Rustoleum crustal clear gloss finish.

Just throwing another option into the mix
I used some spare decking wood sized to the outer edge. This allows for the lid ridge as you can cut the insulation fitted to the inside to suit.
If it will be on show it will look a bit 'special' but I've boxed my keezer into a larger box to allow the gas bottle to sit alongside the frozen but still be hidden.
I did stick up a thread with some pictures.

I would go for a 6" collar rather than a 4" personally. Just gives a bit more room inside for pipes and fittings.

Things to watch out for when fitting is making sure the shank is well clear of the lid when closed (mine hit the end of the shank so wouldn't close properly) and if there is a handle on the freezer lid checking that there is enough of a gap behind the tap handles (mine were too close to each other).

Use sticks like **** to glue everything and you won't have any screws on show.

I used 140mm x 38mm studwork timber from B&Q for mine. its not insulated inside but seems to work well. treated with some wax turned out looking pretty nice. had to go through about 10 cuts of it to find a couple that weren't bowed and have massive knots in them

Attachments

• 20200914_181544.jpg
    20200914_181544.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 20200719_170054.jpg
    20200719_170054.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 230
Cheers! appreciate you saying that. now the challenge, getting through 60 pints is quite a lot,not even got the 3rd keg hooked up yet!

Latest posts

Back