Time to add hops before xmas?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am an enthusiastic (but by no means prolific producer) of home-brew and am always looking for advice from more knowledgeable persons on here. I only brew using extract which suits me just fine and have had many an enjoyable brew from this somewhat looked down upon method.
What I am seeking here however is advice on adding hops and which ones to add to two batches (wilkos IPA) I have ready and waiting under my trusted kitchen table. I have enjoyed willow IPAs before when using citra but im not going to know if I'll like others if i dont try them. I am only looking to dry hop and if i order tonight wont get till prob say thur 19th (6 days before xmas). so what be recommended assuming i get on thurs...just putting them in hop sock then into my corny keg(as i need to get beer into them asap before xmas).
would it be ok to just leave the hops in keg till its drank or release the pressure and remove after a certain number of days?
Also as ive mentioned ive only ever really used citra which i enjoyed. do u eecommend a couple of other hops I should give a go.tyvm look forwars to your input and comments.
cheers

Last edited:
Yeah you can leave the hops in there. I use the pellets and they dissolve into it anyway so can't be too bad. You'll just need to be careful adding them into any keged beer because of introducing oxygen.

When I did kits I initially used to dry hop but then found that hop teas were better, induced more flavour and in some ways easier, and so stopped dry hopping. So my advice to you under your circumstances is to a add a hop tea* rather than dry hopping in your cornies. The alternative is to dry hop in your FV for a very short period say 2 days which some on this forum have said is adequate. Others will have their preference.
As to the type of hops to use there are plenty out there and everyone has their personal favourite, I use US Cascade a lot. Try these links to help you form an opinion on what you may like

Suitable hops for English and American ales - The HomeBrew Forum

Hops Chart

https://www.britishhops.org.uk/varieties/

https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/hop-guide

*My hop tea method was to infuse hops in 85*C water at a rate of about 10g hops per 100ml minimum water

Others will be better placed to comment on timescales however quick comment on hops...

Like you I last did a Wilko feeling hippy IPA kit with 50g citra dry hop which was good.

I have just bottled the same kit with the 10g Amarillo supplied and 25g cascade as a hop tea and 50g mosaic dry hopped. Will wait and see how it conditions but the small (ish) taste I has while bottling leaves me with high hopes!

I have gone ahead and ordered 50g of Centennial and 50g Cascade (uk)....I plane to just use these individually to get to know each just in-case they aren't really compatible.
I would however be interested to hear any feedback about these two hops and have I made a good choice.

cheers

Hop tea & dry hop for me. Mosaic , galaxy , Citra , three favourites. Extract Or partial all three work well for me. Just done a chinook , Simcoe , mosaic & Citra pale ale (hop tea & ddh in fv) bottling this weekend. Next a vic secret pale.... the list of hops is endless , just doing single hop varieties to start with will get you a good understanding of their profile flavours etc.. you can then blend. Have fun experimenting & happy Christmas.

When I did kits I initially used to dry hop but then found that hop teas were better, induced more flavour and in some ways easier, and so stopped dry hopping. So my advice to you under your circumstances is to a add a hop tea* rather than dry hopping in your cornies. The alternative is to dry hop in your FV for a very short period say 2 days which some on this forum have said is adequate. Others will have their preference.
As to the type of hops to use there are plenty out there and everyone has their personal favourite, I use US Cascade a lot. Try these links to help you form an opinion on what you may like

Suitable hops for English and American ales - The HomeBrew Forum

Hops Chart

https://www.britishhops.org.uk/varieties/

https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/hop-guide

*My hop tea method was to infuse hops in 85*C water at a rate of about 10g hops per 100ml minimum water
A hop tea is better as Terry says if you are putting in the corny/keg as hop debris can block the dip tube/outpost poppets on cornies. If you want to dry hop it is better to do it in the fermenter/secondary as you can leave most of the hop debris behind also a 3/4 day dry is ok then just crash straight after removing them and keg the next day should just about get you ready for Crimbo especially if you force carb the beer

I have gone ahead and ordered 50g of Centennial and 50g Cascade (uk)....I plane to just use these individually to get to know each just in-case they aren't really compatible.
I would however be interested to hear any feedback about these two hops and have I made a good choice.

cheers
I have used UK Cascade from CML before and found it was a lot different to the US variety, flowery rather than citrus. I was initially unsure whether CML had sent me the wrong hop but they assured me they hadn't. So I suggest when you order your next round of hops include US Cascade to compare. And as @Winterbournebrewery has said there are loads of different hops out there so you get plenty of interest and fun trying them out, and sometimes you may not like them but always try them on their own to start with. In one of my partial mash beers I use a combination of Summit for mostly bittering (very high %AA and cheap too) and US Cascade. When I first put them together it I knew what US Cascade was like, did a bit of research on Summit, did a brew, and found the combination works really well and is now a beer I often repeat, Conversely I tried Admiral (essentially a bittering hop) as a dry hop in one beer and it was far too powerful for me and took about four months to disappear and for the beer to become drinkable, so on that occasion the lesson was do your research before you try a new hop.

Last edited:
I got my hops today from a local supplier - Glasgow based {crossmyloofbrew.co.uk} who are extremely helpful and courteous as well as having a huge range of hops, yeasts etc....please check them out.
I siphoned both my IPA's into a secondary FV and added a hop sock with 50g of Centennial into one and 50g of Cascade(uk) into the other.
I would really like my brew's to be drinkable by xmas but realise this may be a tad too ambitious.
Would it be for instance ok to have the hops in the FV till say Monday (4 days) then kegging?
Once kegged blast a certain pressure of co2 in then purge?
do i then rock keg back and forth for 10 mins or so?
Is the keg still attached to the gas line when i do this?
what sort of pressures should i be putting into keg..

ty

I can answer the dry hop question ! I find 4 days perfect in the fv. Kegging , no idea, however head office has purchased me a complete set up for Christmas ! so look out for plenty of questions from me.

I got my hops today from a local supplier - Glasgow based {crossmyloofbrew.co.uk} who are extremely helpful and courteous as well as having a huge range of hops, yeasts etc....please check them out.
I siphoned both my IPA's into a secondary FV and added a hop sock with 50g of Centennial into one and 50g of Cascade(uk) into the other.
I would really like my brew's to be drinkable by xmas but realise this may be a tad too ambitious.
Would it be for instance ok to have the hops in the FV till say Monday (4 days) then kegging?
I often use CML as do many other members it seems. There is also a forum members discount.
Four days for a dry hop in the FV should be fine, being at the lower end of the 4-7 days often suggested.

Back