Time to destroy the stash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damienair

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I started brewing kits at around the beginning of December 2020. My first kit was a Simply Lager Kit which came with the starter set up, brewing buckets etc. I then brewed a Coopers Hefe Wheat Kit using Dry wheat spray malt and the results were great. I along with a little help from my neighbour, tucked into the beers as soon as they were ready and the 2 brews were gone far too quickly. So I decided that I would continue to brew, but hold off on drinking my own beer for a while. Build up a stash of 5 brews before touching them. The last of my beer is ready this weekend. I've been very patient, but I have had a couple of samples, just for quality control reasons. The Pink Grapefruit IPA is amazing, it has been hard to keep my filthy paws off that one. Yesterday evening I went down to the garage and I did a little inventory check. I have a very healthy stash built up, details are as below:

1. Simply Lager = 4 x 500ml bottles
2. Coopers Hefe Wheat Kit = 2 x 330ml bottles
3. Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA = 32 X 500ml bottles
4. Australian Blend Pinot Grigio = 14 bottles
5. Festival Oaked Apple Cider = 39 x 500ml bottles
6. Bruphoria James Blonde Ale = 52 x 330ml bottles
7. Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat beer = 40 x 500ml bottles
8. Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA = 40 x 500ml bottles

Total stash is around 190 pints not including the wine. I feel like a kid whom has received the keys for a sweet shop. I've been so patient. But it is time to do some damage to the stash. I also have 29 x 500ml bottles which are empty and ready to go so I'll put on a new brew this weekend too. I have Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA and Irish Red Ale ready to go. I had great plans to be sitting out in the garden, ice cooler full of beer beside me and enjoying the sunshine. However Cooler Box has still not arrived, and weather for the weekend is cold and wet. So it will be indoor drinking and dining instead, I'll still do the BBQ. No more off license purchases for a while, time to enjoy the fruits of my labour.

It's amazing how quickly it can disappear, especially when giving bottles away as gifts. I had a stash of about 50 bottles in the loft at one time - bringing some down to put in the fridge as and when required. Then suddenly the stash was down to only about 6 bottles! Panic and realisation set in, that I would be at least 5 weeks away from another batch being ready!

You've got a good selection of beers there. The Pink Grapefruit IPA is fantastic. Enjoy! 😁

Hello all,

I started brewing kits at around the beginning of December 2020. My first kit was a Simply Lager Kit which came with the starter set up, brewing buckets etc. I then brewed a Coopers Hefe Wheat Kit using Dry wheat spray malt and the results were great. I along with a little help from my neighbour, tucked into the beers as soon as they were ready and the 2 brews were gone far too quickly. So I decided that I would continue to brew, but hold off on drinking my own beer for a while. Build up a stash of 5 brews before touching them. The last of my beer is ready this weekend. I've been very patient, but I have had a couple of samples, just for quality control reasons. The Pink Grapefruit IPA is amazing, it has been hard to keep my filthy paws off that one. Yesterday evening I went down to the garage and I did a little inventory check. I have a very healthy stash built up, details are as below:

Total stash is around 190 pints not including the wine. I feel like a kid whom has received the keys for a sweet shop. I've been so patient. But it is time to do some damage to the stash. I also have 29 x 500ml bottles which are empty and ready to go so I'll put on a new brew this weekend too. I have Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA and Irish Red Ale ready to go. I had great plans to be sitting out in the garden, ice cooler full of beer beside me and enjoying the sunshine. However Cooler Box has still not arrived, and weather for the weekend is cold and wet. So it will be indoor drinking and dining instead, I'll still do the BBQ. No more off license purchases for a while, time to enjoy the fruits of my labour.

phew thank goodness, from the post's title, I thought a whole lot was going down the drain.

When you've got a healthy stash built up - that's the time to start brewing because it'll disappear in the blink of an eye...
Thanks, yes that was my plan all along. Build up a healthy stash so as there is always something available for private consumption and brew away in the background to have new beers coming through. I have 2 kits ready to go and will stick one on in the next couple of days.

It's amazing how quickly it can disappear, especially when giving bottles away as gifts. I had a stash of about 50 bottles in the loft at one time - bringing some down to put in the fridge as and when required. Then suddenly the stash was down to only about 6 bottles! Panic and realisation set in, that I would be at least 5 weeks away from another batch being ready!

You've got a good selection of beers there. The Pink Grapefruit IPA is fantastic. Enjoy! 😁
Thank you. I won't be giving any off this away. Took me too long to collect the bottles. But I'm sure visiting friends and family over the summer will help. Yes the Pink Grapefruit IPA is amazing. I bought a few cans of Elvis Juice last weekend for a side by side comparison. There was a strong scent of grapefruit juice from the Brewdog Elvis Juice, but I preferred the taste from the Mangrove Jacks version. Looking forward to trying the Juicy Session IPA too.

Thank you. I won't be giving any off this away. Took me too long to collect the bottles. But I'm sure visiting friends and family over the summer will help. Yes the Pink Grapefruit IPA is amazing. I bought a few cans of Elvis Juice last weekend for a side by side comparison. There was a strong scent of grapefruit juice from the Brewdog Elvis Juice, but I preferred the taste from the Mangrove Jacks version. Looking forward to trying the Juicy Session IPA too.
Would be interested in your verdict on the Juicy Session IPA as I’m considering that having had my first bottle of the Grapefruit IPA

Would be interested in your verdict on the Juicy Session IPA as I’m considering that having had my first bottle of the Grapefruit IPA
I’ll put a bottle or two into the fridge now and report back tomorrow evening. If it’s anything as good as the Pink Grapefruit IPA I’ll be thrilled.

When you've got a healthy stash built up - that's the time to start brewing because it'll disappear in the blink of an eye...
Yep that‘s how you end up drinking beer that has only being conditioned for a week and trying to pretend to yourself it’s as good as the beer that has being properly conditioned.

The other issue I find is maintaining a good mix of beers it’s all well and good having 30-40+L but if it’s all 6.5% Saison or 7% IPA but small consolation when what your really craving is a 3.2% ordinary bitter or vice versa.

Hello all,

I'm definitely going to try the Pink Grapefruit. Well done on your endeavours' - for me... nothing can beat a pint of my own made beer while watching MOTD on a Saturday night!

Yep that‘s how you end up drinking beer that has only being conditioned for a week and trying to pretend to yourself it’s as good as the beer that has being properly conditioned.
Actually I like to start drinking my beers early and experiencing how they change as I work my way through a crate. It's actually quite surprising how soon a beer jumps from being `way too early' to being `just right'.

Hello all,

All that bottling must be time consuming, and storage space to keep the bottles at a premium. I barrel mine in 40 pint top tap barrels, it’s easy to rack the fermented beer into a barrel, gravity does that, then when the barrel is set in position just a time lapse for clearing. It’s own secondary fermentation builds up a nice pressure to force the lovely clear headed beer into your pint glass. Simple.

My "stash" is not too dissimilar to that though I have 6 kegs that I try to keep in various states of fill so not all bottles. Most of my bottled beer comes from dealing with the mismatch between the size of a Corny keg (19L) and a kit's brew length (22-23L) so I usually end up putting the first 3-4L into bottles and then sticking them away for longer aging.

Currently running at 72 bottles + 122 pints in kegs when my IPA finishes so also somewhere around 190 pints. Good level to maintain I think in case of emergencies 😁

As the previous poster mentioned though not sure I'd want to ever have the overhead of bottling all my beer or finding somewhere to keep it!

Just mowed the lawn. I had 2 bottles of Juicy Session IPA in the fridge since last night. I deserve it. First taste of this beer and all I can say is wow. I can honestly say that it is fantastic and I can’t believe I’m saying this but it is even nicer than the Pink Grapefruit IPA. I heartily recommend you brew this beer. You won’t be disappointed.

Attachments

• EC1E40FC-018D-4ED1-9378-6269FE62BFBC.jpeg
    EC1E40FC-018D-4ED1-9378-6269FE62BFBC.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 68
  • B1791B71-E235-4563-8A5F-DD19F033D816.jpeg
    B1791B71-E235-4563-8A5F-DD19F033D816.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 63
Hello all,

What time do you want me round?

Actually I like to start drinking my beers early and experiencing how they change as I work my way through a crate. It's actually quite surprising how soon a beer jumps from being `way too early' to being `just right'.
Thanks. I just wanted to build up a good reserve and keep brewing. Get ahead of the consumption. I usually only have a few beers at the weekends. I’ll keep on top of it better now and keep a steady supply and choice available. I’m currently having a couple of the Juicy Session IPA’s now. They are just ready and really really good.

Latest posts

Back