Timings & Temperatures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart_A

Reaction score
After weeks of planning, reading and buying equipment I'm eventually about to embark on my first AG brew (first homebrew altogether actually).

As the big day draws closer I'm sure the frequency of my questions wil ramp up even more but tonight's queries are about the timescales and temps required from fermentation and conditioning.

The recipe I'm following doesn't say how long to leave in primary fv but says should be at 19°C. Do I base the time on when it's clear fermentation is complete (based on stabilised FG?).

The recipe also calls for various dry hop additions. When do I add these? And is it OK for them to go in the primary FV at this time? Or would a secondary be better?

If a secondary is required must this be kept at the same 19°C or can it be lower/higher. I'd assume as fermentation will be complete the temp might not necessarily have to be the same?

How long would I dry hop for?

Would the next stage be priming and bottling? And for how long as a minimum and what sort of temp to ensure carbonation?

I was thinking I'd check gravity in primary FV around day 10, then once happy fermentation is complete dry hop for +7 days before transferring into secondary to condition for 2 weeks (partly to free up my primary FV), then bottle and wait say 2 more weeks storing around 20°C?? Is this along the right lines or way off. The quicker the better for me but I've read patience is the key.

Sorry for all the questions. Just so much to think about.

Thanks in advance

Well done for taking the plunge!

Leave the beer in the FV at least until the fermentation is complete, preferably a bit longer to give the yeast a chance to clear up any unwelcome by-products (I give all my beers 2 weeks in FV).

Dry hopping can be done in the FV or in a 2ndry, usually after initial fermentation is finished. A few days is all that's needed.

If I was you I'd dry hop just before bottling, at the end of the 2 weeks conditioning, as flavour/aroma from dry hopping fades quite quickly.

:cheers:

Thanks guys.

So how does this sound?

2 weeks in primary (19°C), transfer to secondary for two weeks (possibly still at around 20°C), then abut 3-4 days dry hop at a lower temp (c.14°C)?

I can use my brew fridge for the primary, bring the secondary into the house for the 2 weeks, add hops and move it back to the utility room (around 13°C currenlty) before bottling.

No need for two weeks in the secondary. Ten days at 19c add you dry hops for 4/5 days at 14c. Bring up to 18c, transfer to secondary and bottle. Leave in the warm, around 18c for two weeks and then two weeks in the cold.

Thanks guys.

So how does this sound?

2 weeks in primary (19°C), transfer to secondary for two weeks (possibly still at around 20°C), then abut 3-4 days dry hop at a lower temp (c.14°C)?

I can use my brew fridge for the primary, bring the secondary into the house for the 2 weeks, add hops and move it back to the utility room (around 13°C currenlty) before bottling.

Sounds good to me. I think the beer will be better for the couple of weeks in the 2ndy.

Back