Timothy Taylor Brewing Process Video

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoyed that, and I too love a good pint of Taylors - particularly Landlord.

Thanks for posting it.

I enjoyed that too. I mentioned elsewhere that I went to a newly opend craft ale pub last saturday and had a wee snifter of a few of the many (at least 12) ales. Including the sour ale I didn't like. In the end I went for a pint of landlord

that was friggin fascinating, thank you Bigjas for sharing that, ive never seen a Brewery before. i had plans to see one in cornwall 2 weeks ago while on holiday, but alas it didnt happen.

A few points here.
Yeast is 1800 generations old makes me wonder why 6 generations is the perceived wisdom from other home brewers.
Ferment for 7, Mature for 3 (10 days total) when again other home brewers suggest 14 days to ferment followed by 14 in the keg minimum.

It shows the brewing process well. I went to Ringwood Brewery in the New Forrest a couple of years ago (before I started home brewing) and although the tour guide described the process well, and we got to see everything, I didn't really understand it. Now I am brewing myself, it would be interesting to go back and do the tour again, I'm sure I would learn lots.

A few points here.
Yeast is 1800 generations old makes me wonder why 6 generations is the perceived wisdom from other home brewers.
Ferment for 7, Mature for 3 (10 days total) when again other home brewers suggest 14 days to ferment followed by 14 in the keg minimum.

The Yeast book talks about this, from memory it is a lot to do with homebrewers having less than ideal conditions (from aeration to pitch rates to storage etc) so we can't keep it going as long without mutations. That said, I've read plenty of stories of people going well beyond 6 generations.

Also, the conditioning period is shorter the more volume you have, I think that is again down to the yeast but can't remember the details. It's similar to the way bottles need longer to condition than kegs but on a greater scale. I'm actually starting to doubt whether the 14 days in the FV is sound advice even tho I still follow it, at some point I'll split a batch and give one 14 days in the FV and bottle one 2 days after it hits FG (so it has a diactyl rest) to see how big a difference it really makes.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few points here.

They're top cropping in the video. As a HB you too can top crop your yeast to 1800 gens (assuming you live that long). The 6 gens your talking about is bottom crop (harvesting the trub/yeast cake). You can only go to about 6 gens because if you continually harvest from the bottom your putting selective pressures on the yeast you collect. So you collect more and more flocctuant yeast so eventually you get yeast that doesnt attenuate well.

what tickled me was the 3 day maturation period. A grand vid tho, not too long, not repeating everything 25 times adding and extra word or snippet each time dragging a 10 minute segment on for an hour like the current TV prog trend.

One of my favorite pints too

They're top cropping in the video. As a HB you too can top crop your yeast to 1800 gens (assuming you live that long). The 6 gens your talking about is bottom crop (harvesting the trub/yeast cake). You can only go to about 6 gens because if you continually harvest from the bottom your putting selective pressures on the yeast you collect. So you collect more and more flocctuant yeast so eventually you get yeast that doesnt attenuate well.

Thanks for the clarification, I see the difference, am now wondering if top cropping has a detrimental affect for homebrewers as you are removing the best most viable yeast while fermentation is in progress.

Latest posts

Back