Tinned Cherry Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've followed this recipe:

For 1 gallon (4.54 litres)
2 tins cherrys in light syrup
2 1/4 lbs sugar
1 teaspoon citric acid
1 teaspoon tannin
2 teaspoons pectolase
yeast nutrient
wine yeast
Water to 1 Gallon

Pour the syrup from the can into the primary fermenter, liquidise or mash the fruit with a potato masher (remove any cherry stones first)
Boil 4 pints of water and dissolve the sugar in it, place fruit pulp into primary and pour over the sugar syrup.

Allow to cool to 70 F add the acid, tannin and pectolase, stir well and cover and leave for 24 hours (to allow the pectolase to work)
next day stir thoroughly and add water to 1 gallon, add the yeast energiser and yeast, leave enough room for a head to form during fermentation fit airlock
stir daily, when S.G. reaches 1.010 strain and rack to demijohn.

ferment out racking and bottling as normal.

It's just sitting in the FV now waiting to get down to room temperature then I can add the pectalose, tannin etc..

Smells good! ... and cost £1.64!

sounds tastey, seems like it could make a nice medium/sweet wine too with cherries as the base - if you decide to go that way. were these black cherries?

Hey guys,

No they're red cherries! I think I'm going to ferment it out dry - then add sweetners if neccesary.

If it turns out well I wont be buying any wine kits anymore :D

Just topped up to the gallon with water.

OG: 1.102!

Fingers crossed for some sweetness left in the wine :hmm:

Tastes and smells like it could be a great success! A lovely bright pink

:pray:

i was reading somewhere, probably wiki, that potassium sorbate also helps to stabilise colours in wines. it might be worth looking about line to check this crE, depending on how bothered you are about preserving colours. Could be nice for your strawberry and cherry wines.

I added some pink food colouring to this, as when it was in the demi, all the colour had dissappeared, now its a nice shade of pink :lol:

Just tasted this, it tastes very strong.

Worked it out as 15% :shock:

1102 dropped to 0.988 in just over a week!

You can taste the strength, a slight cherry flavour. But I think it needs a good few months to settle down, as it still has a very young flavour.

Very promissing :party:

sounds a great wine!!, i would assume that you could replace the two tins of cherries with two of another kind of fruit, i.e strawberries, or gooseberries etc?
Let us know how its goes, got me interested in doing one of these actually!!

Yeah it would work the same!

Just try not to add as much sugar as I did :lol: , unless you want it very strong!

Next time I do this I'm going to keep a closer eye on the sugar. But it's not a failure by any means.

I'll keep you posted :thumb:

Back