Tiny bubbles with finished wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krismcb

Reaction score
Hello, it's been a few years since I have made wine and I never experienced this before...

I have an apple wine which is reading .996 and I added wine stopper a month ago. I forgot about it until today and I decided to have a glass to taste it. It tastes fine but there are tiny bubbles stuck to the glass. It's not fizzy on the tounge though.

If I shake the carboy I get small bubbles sitting around the circumference of the carboy stuck to the glass at the top of wine. Should I be bothered? Do i need to put an airlock on again, move to warmth and see if it will ferment out more?

Bear in mind over the last month I have looked at it and no bubbles have risen to the surface and with .996 I assumed it was done. It's just the bubbles stuck that stuck all around the wine glass which caught my attention.

Thank you for help
kris

You could have a dirty glass ...

... but if you can pick up a carboy and shake it then I for one am not going to argue with you!

Seriously, the more you shake up a brew the greater the chance of contamination, so I would leave it alone, keep it cool and enjoy the fruits of my labour!

Carbon dioxide dissolves in water. So, being totally fermented out does not mean that your wine does not contain any carbon dioxide. Increasing temperature and just pouring it out will lead to some effervescence. And the cooler you kept your wine, the more carbon dioxide will be dissolved in it.

I find it actually weird that people do their best to create a nice wine, then at one moment need to beat the hell of out it to "degas". Why don't they let it rest and take its time?

Thanks for the replies. No I didn't degas... I read somewhere before about shaking and burping it as a raw method to degas instead of buying tools and whips etc. There seems to be a split of opinion on degas, to do or not to do.. does it come down to how quick you want to bottle?

From what I have found and read, I have indeed the impression that people degas because they want their wine fast, e.g. six weeks from fermentation to bottle.

I let it take its time. Ferment in fall, then after six to eight weeks to a DJ, let it rest in the winter, bottle in spring. Although there are also people who only bottle a year later.

Nothing wrong with either method if you want to bottle straight away as you have done you should degas if you are happy to leave the wine in say demijohns with a airlock on and let it degas itself over a few weeks thats fine too. Just choose your method that suits you

Latest posts

Back