Tiny Rebel Cwtch 4 sachets of hops question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lozcozenge

Reaction score
tonight I started my first brew using the tiny rebel cwtch kit by Muntons.

But I’m quite confused about the sachet of hops. There are 4 sachets, 2x Citra and 2x Columbus. But the instructions say to put in 1 sachet of each. This means at the end I am left with 2 sachets I can do nothing with as I don’t have any more yeast or cans of malt etc. I could buy more of course but I find it very strange to give me this extra unused sachets in the kit.

Or is it a typo and I should use all 4? And thus I’ve spoilt my first brew. The instructions state to use both cans and both sachets of yeast so it’s not like there’s two barrels worth of brew in the kit.

There’s 2 YouTube videos i found of people using this kit and they too only put two sachets in.

So does anyone know if this is correct and I do indeed have 2 sachets left over or should I put all 4 in?

Thanks

Sounds like you've got it. Two sachets into the hot wort to add initial flavour, second two sachets are for dry hopping.

However I tend to ignore the optimistic fermentation times given in most kit instructions and would ferment it for two weeks by which time it's normally complete, check the gravity just to be sure, then add the dry hops. Leave for another 2-3 days and then bottle or keg.

If you add the dry hops too early and the fermentation is still active the gas being produced can drive off any hop aroma that might have been imparted.

Great choice for a first brew by the way, lovely kit, only done it the once but really enjoyed the outcome and must do it again. The Young's American Red India Ale is very similar if you like that type of thing.

However I tend to ignore the optimistic fermentation times given in most kit instructions and would ferment it for two weeks by which time it's normally complete, check the gravity just to be sure, then add the dry hops. Leave for another 2-3 days and then bottle or keg.

Interesting I will look into that.

My only problem now is cooling. I bought a aquarium heater thinking I would need to maintain heat, but in fact the room where I am brewing is 26.5C, the coolest part of my house is 25.5C at the moment, and I have no idea how to bring it down. Cant find any immersive coolers like the heater. Will read up on the forum but doesn't look like there is any suitable cost effective way at the moment. My fermenter is sitting in a larger tub of water for the heater (which is off) but thats over 26C.

The ‘immersive chiller’ is called a Brewjacket and costs about £400.
There’s an alternative called IceProbe that’s less than half the price but has less tech (you’d need an inkbird controller as well) and you need to cut a hole in your fermenter.

There are other solutions - brew fridge, ice bottles and insulated bag, swamp cooler...
Loads of articles on the net covering your options so I won’t repeat it all here.

If all else fails, you can try a more heat-tolerant yeast, but 26C ambient is pushing it a bit unless you go to saison or kveik yeasts, which will change the character of the beer.

Brew fridge is one of the best investments I ever made with home brewing. Second hand larder fridge (few £ of eBay or even free if you're lucky (Facebook/Freecycle)), tube heater ~£15, Inkbird ITC-308 £30 and a few hours of your time building it so not really that much money either! Thought my first one was so good I built another.

Latest posts

Back