Tips for knowing when your brew is running out in the corny.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Has anyone got any smart tips for roughly gauging when you've got say, 5 pints or so left in a corny? As obviously you'd want to get another brew on to fill it up.

Of course you can depressurize and open the thing up, but thats wasting co2, and I guess you could gauge it by lifting it and seeing how heavy it is..

But are there any other semi-reliable ways?

A bit of an odd question, but a question nonetheless! :cool:

Move it somewhere warm for 2 mins and watch for the condensation line ;)

I normally guage it by the froth explosion as it empties. I then know it is dead. It is an Ex cornie. It is not pining for the kegereator -it -is -no -more -it -is - deceased.

Forward planning is the key, brew shitloads and have a bit of a back catalogue. Its worth the investment in corny's to be able to have a brew maturing while you are drinking the previous brew.

Then you never suffer the horror and suffering of a beer famine?

Its thinking like this that made me the weight I am today!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

i go by the weight personally. you'll get to know how full it is by the weight soon enough.

there are these stick on strips that react to a change in temperature (not a thermometer) that shows a clear line of how full it is.

it's called the MicroMatic SmartStrip

SS100.jpg

i've read that they can be a bit temperamental.. but for £3 it's not like it'll break the bank

BrewStew said:
i go by the weight personally. you'll get to know how full it is by the weight soon enough.

there are these stick on strips that react to a change in temperature (not a thermometer) that shows a clear line of how full it is.

it's called the MicroMatic SmartStrip

i've read that they can be a bit temperamental.. but for £3 it's not like it'll break the bank

That's no good. It's not shiny... do they do them in silver?

Has anyone got any smart tips for roughly gauging when you've got say, 5 pints or so left in a corny? As obviously you'd want to get another brew on to fill it up.

5 pints :shock:
It takes me 5 weeks minimum to turn around a brew from start to finish and 5 pints wouldn't last me that long :D
The easy way is to lift it up, or look for condensation as already mentioned. I don't like moving them as it can kick the sediment back up.

I also keep an eye on the beer line when pouring what I think is the last pint. There's nothing worse than having a nearly full glass and then a load of yeast comes through and spoils it :roll:

I reckon the answer is to have a corny in reserve....you know you wanna :P

When you get to the point where you think you've just pulled the perfect pint, that's when you've nearly run out.... :roll:

It seems to happen that way to me anyway.

/Phil.

Latest posts

Back