Tips for Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globe11123

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've just done my first turbo cider just want a bit of guidance of what to do better next time.

I used 4.5L of fresh pressed apple juice, 1 cup of strong tea, 1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient and 0.5 teaspoon of yeast. (Forgot to add extra sugar) SG = 1.046.
Fermentation was very lively at the first 3-4 days then gradually it became more steady, left it for 2 weeks.
Left outside to cold crash, its still very cloudy but I didn't use any pectolase. (Not bothered on this first attempt.)
FG of 1.002 on day of bottling.
Added a teaspoon of sugar to each 500ml (Have I just created bombs here? :?:)
Currently carbonating in a 18-19C room.
As an experiment I put some sweetener in a few of the bottles to see what that will do.

One thing I don't like about this first brew is that is seems quite dry to me, its not very crisp and sweet like the ciders I like. What can I do to make it sweeter or medium? Ferment for less? More sugar in the initial fermentation? And for the crispness more tannin from the tea?

Will be doing a vimto turbo next which I've heard is quite sweet anyway. But I definitely want to try get better at a plain turbo cider.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi. You can buy cider yeast with sweetener already added or sweetening at the bottling stage with artificial sweetener may work for your taste. Personally I don't add any sugar until I prime my bottles.

Done my vimto turbo cider, turned out nice maybe a tad too strong tasting could probably do with 600ml of squash rather than a full litre.

Once thing I'm abit dissapointed is the carbonation, it was left to ferment for 23 days. It's not carbonated really, if I racked it into bottles sooner would of it maybe been carbonated?

ne thing I don't like about this first brew is that is seems quite dry to me, its not very crisp and sweet like the ciders I like.
Commercial ciders are sweetened by adding apple juice after fermentation and pasteurising to kill the yeast. Easiest way to replicate this is to add half an inch of apple juice to your glass when pouring your bone dry cider.
Or just drink it as it is and it's surprising how quickly you get used to it.

Latest posts

Back