Tips on syphoning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garic

Reaction score
First timer here, I made my first batch and clear it using finings, However at the time of bottling wine got disturbed and I end up with cloudy wine again, I have now left it clear again..!

So the question is how do you guys do it ?, any tips on syphoning ? , I am using 1 gallon demijohns to ferment.

I use a syphoning stick which I attach to the tubing and something to clamp the tubing to the demijohn top so it does not move or hold it steady at the top.
I think you can get them from maybe Wilko's

First timer here, I made my first batch and clear it using finings, However at the time of bottling wine got disturbed and I end up with cloudy wine again, I have now left it clear again..!

So the question is how do you guys do it ?, any tips on syphoning ? , I am using 1 gallon demijohns to ferment.

Hi Garic

Two things to mention :-

I would make sure you syphon to another similar sized vessel before you attempt to bottle - it's just easier that way and saves you knocking the sediment.

An auto-syphon and bottling wand would make things super-easy for you. There are two sizes of auto-syphon and you'll need the smaller one. I would only place the syphon in the very top of the liquid and follow it down as the liquid gets lower - that way you are minimising the sediment.

https://www.biggerjugs.co.uk/produc...1hNv52zRbzEvFjyMQkEKcydr1yEajqOkaApH1EALw_wcB

Get yourself a bucket clip they are meant to be used on fermenting vessels (buckets) but fir in a DJ perfectly you can then use a clothes peg to keep the end of the tube out of the sediment meaning if you do accidently move it it wont stir it up.

1649785339399.png
1649785354989.png

Some more suggestions from a thread i started about the little bottler -

I hate bottling so bought a little bottler and a bucket clip which made the job a lot less painful, as i didn't have a FV with a tap and i didn't want to cut a hole in it i cut the tube off the tap at the point below which allowed me to use it with my syphon tube giving me much more control, the bucket clip keeps everything steady on a FV or DJ.

To attach the tube to the end of the syphon i use the standard syphon tap the longer tapered end fits perfectly inside the little bottler tube.

31MigV%2BHUcL._SY300_.jpg

317H-XDgf%2BL.jpg

1649785772262.png

Captureiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg

As @Chippy_Tea said above, rigid tube with sediment trap to go into your bucket or demijohn. To hold that in place in a demijohn use a cork with a hole/slot to let the air in as the liquid goes out. If you're using a bucket use two of the clips mentioned above to hold the rigid tube in the bucket and the tube down to your next vessel. Use some kind of flow control so you can stop/start as required. On the end of your flexible tube I'd recommend a bottling wand/stick.

I never got on with autosyphons, I mostly make wine and they introduced too much air into the stream for my liking. However, I am tempted by this from Kegland
Autosiphon

I cannot remember where i got it but Brew2Bottle sell one that looks identical, i got the long one as i only use FV's, it does a great job (no bubbles) and using it with the little bottler makes bottling a lot less of a pita.

I clean it by pumping the sanitiser i used to sanitise the bottles etc through the syphon i then remove the inner tube and swirl it around like a cowboy using a lasso to get moisture out of the flexy tube, i stand the bigger tube on the drainer and leave it until its dry.

As the lass in the video says do not put hot water in the tube the seal distorts and you will get bubbles.

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/bottling-aids/products/33cm-easy-start-auto-syphon
https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/bottling-aids/products/44cm-easy-start-auto-syphon
1664275661430.png

Have to say the one I bought was pretty useless. I bottle straight from the FV and air got in each time and not only introduced air into the bottle but meant I had to pump each time, so I went back to just pipe and wand.It might have been cos it was a cheap one.

I bottle straight from the FV and air got in each time and not only introduced air into the bottle but meant I had to pump each time,

I can see that being a problem if you don't use a little bottler as in the video i posted earlier this is my set up and it works really well.

I have edited the video to start at the relevant part -

Little bottler in second video -

I use a wand on the end of pipe using it as a Syphon. This works well, it was when l added the pump Syphon that the air got in so I went back to the manual Syphon and everything was fine again. As I said might have been because it was a cheap pump Syphon but happy without it, just get a mouthful of unconditioned beer, no bad thing.

I cannot remember where i got it but Brew2Bottle sell one that looks identical, i got the long one as i only use FV's, it does a great job (no bubbles) and using it with the little bottler makes bottling a lot less of a pita.

I clean it by pumping the sanitiser i used to sanitise the bottles etc through the syphon i then remove the inner tube and swirl it around like a cowboy using a lasso to get moisture out of the flexy tube, i stand the bigger tube on the drainer and leave it until its dry.

As the lass in the video says do not put hot water in the tube the seal distorts and you will get bubbles.

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/bottling-aids/products/33cm-easy-start-auto-syphon
https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/bottling-aids/products/44cm-easy-start-auto-syphon
View attachment 75548
Got one of those and I've done a test syphon with water and a real syphon with wine. Good bit of kit, NOTHING like the others I've used at all.

Very glad I did the test syphon first as I hadn't secured the end of the tube suffiently during the priming and I sprayed water everywhere! Good lesson learned! The syphon of wine from bucket into demijohn was a great success, still having some trouble with the prime AND holding the little bottler but that will come with some practice I think. I may shorten the flexi tube a little but better than being too short!.

Thanks @Chippy_Tea !

Latest posts

Back