Tips, Tips, Tips

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just take a match to the polish in the can to melt it and then blow it out and apply the polish. I learned to use saliva to polish my shoes from my brother and brother-in-law who were in the military. I switched to spring water though because of the spitting factor and that there's no chlorine, as there is in tap water.

A tip: If you use a red-hot poker to do something unpleasant to someone you don’t like, then you use the same poker to mull your ale, make sure you wash it thoroughly between the two uses.

That sounds horrid --- do you mean you actually had to take the polish into your mouth, then spit it onto your shoes?
Did they teach you how to clean your mouth afterwards?
You polish the boot with polish of course but then you spit on the boot and polish it in and repeat until shiny

That sounds horrid --- do you mean you actually had to take the polish into your mouth, then spit it onto your shoes?
Did they teach you how to clean your mouth afterwards?
No, you apply the polish and add spit, or water, than buff it in.

A floor polish called "kleer" was also used.
Looked great until one had to parade in the rain,The toecaps turned milky white !!!!!!.

Traditional method is:>
Hot spoon and polish to "smooth" toecaps.Then rub with cotton wool soaked in water with TINY additions of polish from time to time.
Eventually the toecaps would look like a black mirror.
Also finish was waterproof.

Last edited:
Patience davidfromUS patience we are slowly getting there.!!!!!

Within the next few years we will proudly re-introduce serfdom

Like a good wine it just takes time.

Latest posts

Back