Tirbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy44

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I made turbo cider on the 2/6/2022 and its still in the fermenting bucket slowly bubbling and very cloudy, should i give up on it i just leave it be.

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_091120.jpg
    IMG_20220626_091120.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220626_091151.jpg
    IMG_20220626_091151.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0
Got to get another batch going - hot weather means the cider is going down very well. I was thinking... Until now I've exclusively used cider yeast (CML) for all my cider brews. But what if I try a different yeast? I'm initially thinking US05 so it stays clean but perhaps a little sweeter than cider yeast. Anyone already tried this or will the sugars in the apple juice not ferment with other yeasts?

I've used ale yeasts. Works ok. I tried it after watch some youtube video where some guy was comparing TC made using cider/wine/ale yeast. He actually prefered the ale yeast version.
I think cider yeast is meant to give a little more apple flavour to the finished brew but not sure.

I find cider yeast is great and more than happy with the results. It does ferment very dry though so I just wondered, for a bit of variety, what a less attenuating yeast might be like.

What's the current gravity reading? Mine seem to finish around 1.000 so anything 1.005 - 0.950 and it's done.

The bubbling could just be excessive CO2 that it absorbed during fermentation being released. It's unlikely to still be fermenting after 24 days. It's generally done most of what it needs to do in a week but I tend to leave mine for two weeks before kegging.

Got to get another batch going - hot weather means the cider is going down very well. I was thinking... Until now I've exclusively used cider yeast (CML) for all my cider brews. But what if I try a different yeast? I'm initially thinking US05 so it stays clean but perhaps a little sweeter than cider yeast. Anyone already tried this or will the sugars in the apple juice not ferment with other yeasts?
I had wondered the same thing - hot weather - a bit too warm for regular yeasts. I bought some Mangrove Jack kveik yeast as it's supposed to be very happy at higher temperatures, but will ferment from 20degC upwards. I have a turbo cider plopping away very well on the cupboard next to me. Stick-on thermometer says 24deg most of the time since I started it on Sunday. It's supposed to ferment with a 'clean' taste. I'll let you know how it turns out in a week or two. I tend to let my turbo ciders stay in the demijohn for at least two weeks so the yeast does a bit of clearing before bottling. Contra to the 'turbo' aspect of turbo cider I know....

Just a follow up on the use of kveik on my turbo cider. I bottled it two days ago, and had a QC taster. It doesn't seem as dry a finish compared to other yeasts, and the other fruit flavour (mango and passionfruit) is definitely there. I don't always find that with turbo cider with other fruit juice in it. To me it normally tastes 'sort of' cider with something in it. The PET bottles I used have firmed up already showing secondary fermentation in progress. Another week or so, then in the fridge for first proper test. I'm definitely going to try another few with kveik while the weather is still hot to see how they turn out. It may end up being the preferred way of making tc over the winter in the airing cupboard.
cheers,
Biffa.

Back