To add citra, cascade or first gold hops to Wilkos cerveza

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davewhit

Reaction score
Hello again. I am at day 4 of a wilkos cerveza in my fv. I have got a choice of hops available from a friend these are citra, cascade and first gold. Firstly which one would you all recommend? when shall I add them? how much should I put in? and the suguested way to add them? These are whole leaf hops not pellets

Thanks in advance

To be honest, I wouldn't add any of those 3 to a cerveza, as to me they wouldn't particularly fit the style. You'd be better saving them for an ale, rather than a "lager".

Hello again. I am at day 4 of a wilkos cerveza in my fv. I have got a choice of hops available from a friend these are citra, cascade and first gold. Firstly which one would you all recommend? when shall I add them? how much should I put in? and the suguested way to add them? These are whole leaf hops not pellets

Thanks in advance

I suggest that you leave the cerveza in the FV for two weeks before bottling (yes, we know that's not what it says on the tin!) and add the First Gold in a muslin or nylon bag weighed down with sanitised cutlery or glass marbles. You add the hops ~5 days before bottling.

Yes I intended to leave in fv for at least 2 weeks after reading many many threads on the optimistic advise given on the cans.
How much would you or have you added before?
Dave

Yes I intended to leave in fv for at least 2 weeks after reading many many threads on the optimistic advise given on the cans.
How much would you or have you added before?
Dave
Started with 30g or so, but that is very conservative, by modern tastes. First Gold is very much an English hop, Cascade is more floral and also one of my favourites - maybe try that for next time. Citra is an acquired taste.

Is that 30g of pellets or full leaf as guessing pellet is more potent?
Dave

I dry hopped a Wilko Cervesa with cascade and it was really very nice. It was the first time I had used hops and whilst the result was good it wasn't what I was after. It was definitely more aroma than flavour.

I was after a more hoppy flavour as well, something like a Brooklyn Lager, whilst I think the hops were fine I don't think I started with a hoppy/malty enough base in the first place.

Probably looking at steeping some grain as an addition as well when I start brewing again in the new year but will need a bit of research before doing that
Ive got this kit to do and was going to try 50g cascade leaf as a dry hop.

Is that 30g of pellets or full leaf as guessing pellet is more potent?
Dave

Pellets probably are more potent as a dry hop. 30g is only where I started, after all, so feel free to add any other amount!
One reason for starting low is that it gives you a chance to work out how to become familiar with the technique without making too much of a mess of it.

Why is it termed dry hopping out of interest?
Dave
Dry hopping is when you add hops after the initial fermentation is over. The idea is that it helps preserve the aroma, which is essentially "blown off" by the escaping gas otherwise. Usually added 5 days or so before bottling, for HB'ers.

Well that's it all bottled up. From fv into bottling bucket and batch primed. 44 full bottles so into warm place for couple of days (back corner of living room) then off into cool spot for couple of weeks. Gotta say had a few taste's and it's not bad at all already. Can't wait now...

Latest posts

Back