to cold ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeefy

Vanner
Reaction score
done a coopers stout kit all went well waste tasting really nice till i put it in a cold place for a week

i put it outside in back garden been out there a week pulled a pint off it and hardly any pressure i know it had loads as i was struggling to pour a half before it went outside without loads of head

now nothing hardly any head at all and not much pressure

so is it too cold out side for it or do i need to think about other probs ??

Hi bigbeefy
Assuming pressure barrel here. When you prime a brew in a PB at room temp the co2 is fast and loose, infiltrating liquid and head space causing more pouring pressure, therefore head. When you cool your brew the co2 from the head space incorporates more easily into liquid - a good thing right? But when our brew is cold the co2 tends to become more static in liquid, meaning the bubbles don't shoot around your liquid and less head. You need lots of co2 in a cold brew and the pb only holds 10psi. This 10psi is easy to reach at room temp, but as soon as you cold crash the pressure reduces as co2 incorporates into solution.
So to cut a long story short, if you want it really cold then inject more co2 into your PB (keep on injecting until the pressure release valve whistles at 10psi). You may need to do this over several days as the co2 will dissolve into solution, but after a while pressure will stabilise. Or serve it warmer, as you'll need less co2
Sorry if i've gone a wee bit on about this, but hopefully it helps?

hi stesmi

thank you for the reply just what i was looking for you not only replied to the question you explained why

thank you

Back