To purchase Brewing Boiler, or not

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steadders

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

A friend of a friend was emigrating and needing to sell his All Grain setup asap. Intrigued by the thought of going from brew-in-a-plastic-bucket to a nice shiny stainless steel All Grain setup, proved very alluring and so I reached a deal with him and took the whole lot off his hands.

This was about year ago and I've finally just recently finished getting all the kit setup in my garage; mounted on adjustable racking, wired to waterproof sockets on their own ring main, and a huge commercial catering sink plumbed in for washing everything (dont worry, photos are further down..).

Main problem Number One. I'm a complete All Grain Newbie.

Main problem Number Two. After reading various articles on the Internet, watching various YouTube videos and reading Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes... I'm at a logger head on whether my Bielmeier BHG-660-020 29 Litre kettle can double up as the means to boiling up my water (/ liquor!) and also be the brewing boiler to vigorously boil up my wort?

My first brew is going to be Dark Rock Brewery's All Grain Kit (SIMCOE SINGLE HOP ALE - Makes 40 Pints). But as per the instructions it says for first stage (mashing) I need to add the mash water to to my mashing vessel (check - pretty sure I got one of these!) and then bring it up to temperature 66c. My mashing vessel (SS Brewing Technologies Mash Tun) doesn't have a heater so I'm already lost on how I could do this with the SS Brew Tech Mash Tun. Is it looking like I should purchase a 'Brewing Boiler'?
dark-rock-brewery-instructions11.jpg

dark-rock-brewery-instructions21.jpg

The boiling stage also has me scratching my head, I don't have a brewing boiler to boil the wort in. Based on the kit I have below, can I use my 29 Litre Bielmeier BHG-660-020 kettle to do the mash stage and do the boil stage, or am I definitely needing to go out and by myself a brewing boiler?

Here's my equipment/setup:
Bielmeier BHG-660-020 Kettle (29 Litre Capacity):
bielmeier-bhg-660-020-front11.jpg

SS Brewing Technologies Mash Tun, with fake bottom:
ss-brewing-technologies-mash-tun1.jpg

Adapted Coolbox with copper piping with slits:
adapted-coolbox-with-copper-pipes-with-slits11.jpg

SS Brewing Technologies (I think Conical) Fermenting Chamber, with built-in cooling coil:
ss-brewing-technologies-fermenter1.jpg

Look forward to hearing everyone's two cents / recommendations and being a part of the Home Brew Forum Community and of course, getting my first All Grain brew going!

It’s possible to not need a separate boiler......

Use your boiler to heat strike water then mash in
Then use boiler to heat sparge water and keep sparge water at correct temp while lautering.
(Drain wort into spare plastic FV)

After layering is complete empty any remaining water from boiler and transfer wort from plastic FV to boiler.

Then use boiler for the boil!

You definitely don't need to buy another boiler.

1. Fill your kettle/boiler to capacity and heat to mash strike temp
2. Drain from your boiler, the required volume to conduct the mash, directly to into your SS Brew Tech mash tun.
3. Top up your boiler to your sparge water volume requirements and heat to a degree or two above sparge temp (as you may suffer some drop in temp which you'll need to dial in to your process).
4. Drain your boiler into your cooler to keep it hot.
5. Once the mash is complete, recirculate as needed and then run off into your boil kettle.
6. Sparge with water from your cooler.

That's how I would use the equipment.

Brilliant. Thanks guys. Really appreciate the explanations and steps. *Rolling up sleeves and continuing with the cleaning and sanitising :D *

Latest posts

Back