To rouse or not to rouse.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Have just made myself a fermentation chamber out of a fridge with an inkbird. I was itching to try it out so I set to making my favourite brew, a Marstons pedigree clone. The brew went well and I achieved very close to the target og.
I pitched the s04 at 24c and put it in the fermenting fridge and set the inkbird to 20c.
After 24 hours I had a look and was a bit disappointed as the yeast head was not developing as expected. After 48 hours it is beginning to subside. I checked the temperature of the wort which was 0.2c different to the inkbird.
My questions are, should I give it a good rousing and increase the temp slightly or leave it a week and take some more hydrometer reading? I have never had any problems with this recipe or this yeast.
Thanks in advance.

Leave it. Your different reaction may be down to temperature control.
Yes you were right, fermentation has been ticking over nicely. I used to ferment in a a warm kitchen or garage with a brew belt so I should have realised things would be different.
Thanks for the advice.

It will probably finish fermenting within the next 24 hours, after which I would still wait 3-4 more days before packaging just to let the yeast clean up after itself a bit and maybe chew up the last 0.0005 gravity point. You don't need to rouse the yeast or anything like that.

Latest posts

Back