To sparge or not to sparge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky B

Reaction score
Greetings Brewers - I recently did a 23 l full mash of a Jon Finch House Pale using 3.5kg of MO Pale malt and 500g of Caramel malt. The SG of the pre boil of 19l (i got my volumes wrong tbf !) was disappointingly low at 1032 so I added some DME to get more fermentables in. I use a Robobrew and have been assuming that as I use a wort re circulation pump there's no need to sparge at the end of the mash. I'd appreciate any opinions as to not doing the sparge caused the low yield and a sparge is always necessary or was i Just unlucky this time around for some unexplained reason ? Any help gratefully received.

It makes a difference, but not a lot (provided you are not brewing behemoths, i.e. keeping under 1.050). If you find it does make a big difference, you are probably doing something else wrong.

You can check out >this< to see me using "no-sparge". You've stated "no need" but I think you can better put it as "no point".

I started a BIAB sort of process without sparging and then added a 6 litre batch sparge. I obviously reduced the initial water volume by 6 litres. The increase in OG for the same volume of wort was between 5 and 10%. People say grain is cheap so increase your grain but isn't it better to improve your process?

I do a very rudimentary sparge, but only because I need to top up my boil volume due to having a small boiler and because it takes zero additional time. Otherwise I just wouldn't bother.
I pull my grain bag out and put a colander on the top of the boiler and drop the bag in it to drain. Boiler then gets turned on and whilst it's heating up, I slowly pour 4l of water over the bag and let it drain.
Once the wort is nearly at boil temp, I give the bag a quick squeeze by pushing it down in to the colander with a small pan lid and then lift it away.
If it involves any mess or additional harassment I just wouldn't do it.

Sparge, its not hard, super easy, I pop my bag of grain on the top of my kettle with a grill from the oven.

I also invested in a proper paddle to mix my BIAB brew and I do feel vigorously stirring the mash helps.

To be honest my beer being a % point low really does not bother me as long as it tastes good, thats far more important to me, especially when I hand it out to people.

Attachments

• D7BFCBF5-24A1-457D-9564-5F2B815D0DB8.jpeg
    D7BFCBF5-24A1-457D-9564-5F2B815D0DB8.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 60
Back