To stir or not to stir !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicksimpson66

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at wine making, l was bought a Youngs 6 bottle Cab Sauv kit, l've just made my first batch and on reading the instructions it doesn't mention stirring it through the first fermentation, however l have read on forums to stir it 2-3 times daily until the fermentation slows down, what do you advise, to stir or not to stir ?
Regards,
Nick.

As long as you got some air in there to begin with I would leave it. There is more chance of infection if you keep messing with it. The action of the yeast tends to keep things well mixed anyway.
Right now your concern is keeping the temperature stable, and always be prepared for it to overflow with foam- which can make a mess if you are not expecting it.

Country wine mixes with fruit do benefit from mixing up during fermentation, but as there are no bits in yours I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you, I've used a 10L bucket with an airlock stood on a heating mat so hopefully it won't overflow as it's only filled to 4.8L, touch wood anyway !

Thank you, I've used a 10L bucket with an airlock stood on a heating mat so hopefully it won't overflow as it's only filled to 4.8L, touch wood anyway !

If you are going to make bigger batches a blow off tube can give peace of mind and save you a bollocking.

How to make one - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/how-to-make-a-blow-off-tube.48970/

blow-off-tube-jpg.15785

Latest posts

Back