Today was brewday AG#7 robust porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beechwood

Regular.
Reaction score
Ok so today was brewday, first one this year. I went for a robust porter similar to guinness single stout porter of 1883. Well along those lines anyway.

Aimed for 10 lts but slighty over sparged, got 11.5 lts

Marris otter 2380g (85%)
Amber malt 280g (10%)
Black malt 140g (5%)

Mashed at 66c for 90 mins

Boiled for 60 mins with: 25g challanger @ 60 (AA 6.5%) IBU's 44

Og was 1060 (eff better than expected over 70%)

Pitched gervin gv-12 @ 20c, will leave for 8 days to ferment.

This is my first attempt at a porter, hopefully will be nice.
Anyone tried guinness west indies porter? Really like that beer, this beer shouldn't be too far out from it. :thumb:

Sounds good to me. Should be nice if it's similar to the Guinness West Indies Porter. Good luck.

Checked the fg yesterday hoping to bottle it up, but after 8days it seems to have got stuck at 1024 which is a bit of a pain. Anyway i stirred up the yeast with a sterilised spoon and put it back in to the water bath at slightly higher temp, it has started bubbling again so hopefully will bottle in a week if its dropped down enough (usually with gv-12 i can get it down 1010) :oops:

Bottled this one up today after another week of being in the fv, even tho it started bubbling a week ago the fg hasn't changed since a week ago so i decided to bottle anyway. I guess i didn't oxygenate the wort enough. So fg was 1024 which makes it about 4.8%
It has got a nice flavour and a bit of sweetness comes through, will leave to mature for at least 3 weeks before trying the first one.
Next brew will be a stout i think :thumb:

So its been three weeks and its rather nice. Lots of roasted coffee flavour and smell which is good, quite similar to guinness west indies porter. I will keep a couple for a good few months to see how it improves :drink::hat:

Latest posts

Back