Toffee Apple Cider Recipe (UPDATED!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danb said:
i set a gallon of this off 9 days ago and bubbling in the airlock had stopped yesterday and also no more bubbles rising or around the top edge. i sorted bottles out to bottle it up and thought i would have a go with the hydrometer to be sure, the reading as of now is 1.010 is this too early to have finished and should i leave it for a while longer and recheck. instead of pouring away i decided to taste it and really couldnt taste the toffee effect but hopefully this will get better with time.
i didnt take an original reading as i didnt have a hydrometer then as i had just started brewing and this was the first brew i put on. only difference from the recipe is i used golden syrup instead of honey and by mistake put 800g of it in.
thanks

With 800g of golden syrup plus the sugar from the pears and the AJ you could well have reached the alcohol tolerance of your teast. Give it a few more days and check the SG again and see if it's changed. Did you measure the SG before fermentation started?

unfortunately i have only just started brewing and bought the hydrometer after it was started. going to leave it another few days and check again. all brews from now on will be chacked prior to pitching and recorded.

This recipe seems more like a cyser (mead with apple juice) than a cider. I don't think I've any left, I didn't like it after a few months and let friends drink it! IIRC I also Now I'd like to try again, use good apple juice and burn the **** out of the honey. There's a similar recipe on a US site and they boil the honey for 1-2 hours til it's horribly black. It should be nice stabilised and backsweetened with honey too as a still cider, but it really does need to be left alone for a year at least!

when i tried mine after ageing a month it was undrinkable so having just started i emptied a few bottles out to use on a different brew. but i saved 2 bottles to try 1 after 6 months and 1 after a year to see how it improves.

Started this at the weekend. After about an hour or 2 the DJ had overflowed, the pears pushed through the airlock and had a lovely mess in the kitchen. I cleaned up, took some of the mix out, and the next day the same happened. It was bubbling ridiculously. I ended up having to pour from the DJ into my fermenting bucket :lol:
Still bubbling away, no way it would work in a DJ.

Made a gallon of this back in June, tried it last night and its so good Im starting another batch tonight. Only problem I had was getting the honey 'burnt'. It took over an hour and when left to cool started going hard. Not sure if Im doing this wrong, but the cider is excellent anyway.

I started this recipe 4 days ago smells lovley and tasted as gd when I took my og it read 1080 did a check to day and its 1050 so it is fermenting but reading other comments is my og wrong or have I misread hydrometer

Have a bottle of this fermenting away.

Had everything excluding the tinned pear halves, so used fresh pears, mashed and covered with boiling water.

Honey was el-cheapo stuff, seems I've used all of the local stuff.

Smells lovely, tastes nice too, having just racked it off the mashed pears and topped up with some cooled boiled water.

After wanting to do this for so long, I finally got round to starting this off. I found that when putting in the apple juice to the "burnt" honey (which was incredibly dark, but smelt burnt), it actually solidified the mixture so had to heat it up just enough to allow it to dissolve into the juice but not hot enough for it to start boiling. Looking forward to seeing how it'll turn out though. Really smelt like toffee apples in the pan

How would you recommend racking the cider? I think I have muslin cloth but how would you recommend using it?

Just made this recipie. I had the same problem with the honey solidifying because I let in cool down too much when I added the juice.I heated it back up and added the cooled apple juice which worked better. Took ages to "burn" the honey, about 45 Mins. I got the apple juice dirt cheap at 54p a carton.( 100% concentrate). I also just used a cider yeast rather than a wide/champagne yeast. My first cider , so looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I've now made two of these . The first one was following the recipe on the first page for the TC. It turned out rubbish, just tastes like apple cider. It's now bottled and conditioning till the Autumn. After that I decided make a second attempt. I added 280g of honey and burned the **** out of it. Seems to have worked better. It's been fermenting nearly 3 weeks. Will rack it of next week and add a vanilla pod.

I started this the other day using the second method and GV13 cider yeast in a glass DJ with one of the super major airlocks. OG was about 1055. Started getting bubbles in the airlock after about 10mins. Then it blew the lock off overnight any ideas? I have a blow off tube on it now instead. Lost some of the mashed pear and a bit of the foam.

ive read this thread, and my mouth is watering

off to tesco i go

scaff

Haha!! A good idea!!
Reads your mind!
Ohhhhhhhhh! My god!
Why did I miss this for so long!!
As most people know from my threads I've got a sweet tooth (well one that are left!) or think I just look the name of it!
Just try to think of a couple of toffee apple ciders I bought when I was going to a summer BBQ years ago!! This is my queue to get the dust of the DJ's...
Here we go....Bri ALERT!! :-)

Ohhhhhhhhh! My god!
Why did I miss this for so long!!
As most people know from my threads I've got a sweet tooth (well one that are left!) or think I just look the name of it!
Just try to think of a couple of toffee apple ciders I bought when I was going to a summer BBQ years ago!! This is my queue to get the dust of the DJ's...
Here we go....Bri ALERT!! :-)

Latest posts

Back