Quantcast

Tom caxton real ale

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Davetomo41

Reaction score
Second attempt at homebrew much better tom caxton 4.8% fantastic, now I am ready for the next challenge. Amy suggestions!

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
What do you like? What are you adding to your kit...sugar,malt extract? Some of the premium kits are really good...

Davetomo41

Reaction score
First attempt was evil dog pilsner didn't go to plan, want to try another pilsner

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
Not sure what Cooper's do without looking but their kits are very reliable.

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
Look at their web site they have some easy recipe ideas that make some nice brews!

dad_of_jon

Beer designer
Reaction score
Second attempt at homebrew much better tom caxton 4.8% fantastic, now I am ready for the next challenge. Amy suggestions!
I have fond memories of that kit because I only used it once and never went back. So was it bad? - not at all I proved I could brew BEER! :groupdancing:

that was drinkable! ashock1

I've not looked back since!

dad_of_jon

Beer designer
Reaction score
First attempt was evil dog pilsner didn't go to plan, want to try another pilsner
3kg of light malt extract
1 MJ cali common yeast
50g saaz boiled in 5 litres of water for 20 mins. strain liquid into fv - then add 6 litres of chilled water and stir the hell out of it whilst adding the dme
add yeast at correct temp (as on packet)
after 2 weeks of fermenting, bottle up , thank me and send me a bottle :laugh8:

Racehunter

Reaction score
3kg of light malt extract
1 MJ cali common yeast
50g saaz boiled in 5 litres of water for 20 mins. strain liquid into fv - then add 6 litres of chilled water and stir the hell out of it whilst adding the dme
add yeast at correct temp (as on packet)
after 2 weeks of fermenting, bottle up , thank me and send me a bottle :laugh8:
Just noticed this post and am interested in giving this recipe a go. However, as a fairly newbie, I have some questions, that I am sure will have some of you rolling in the aisles 😗. 1. Is the 3kg of light malt extract, liquid of powder? 2. I take it that the yeast is the MJ M54 one?. 3. You say to 'stir the hell out of it, whilst adding the DME' I thought it was 3kg of LME that I had to add? 4. How much sugar/dextrose for priming and what temps afterwards?

Thanks in advance

Davetomo41

Reaction score
After saying I wanted to try another pilsner my son got me a John bull pilsner after adding 23litres to the kit I used 1kg beer enhancer. Sg 1033 after 8 day's took a reading 1010, then 9 day's 1008, looks like everything is going on the right direction. I plan to bottle up Saturday, total 15 day's. Not sure what abv it's going to be, hopefully not to weakathumb..
15904205565081918347914.jpg