Tom caxton real ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davetomo41

Reaction score
Second attempt at homebrew much better tom caxton 4.8% fantastic, now I am ready for the next challenge. Amy suggestions!

Second attempt at homebrew much better tom caxton 4.8% fantastic, now I am ready for the next challenge. Amy suggestions!
I have fond memories of that kit because I only used it once and never went back. So was it bad? - not at all I proved I could brew BEER! :groupdancing:

that was drinkable! ashock1

I've not looked back since!

First attempt was evil dog pilsner didn't go to plan, want to try another pilsner
3kg of light malt extract
1 MJ cali common yeast
50g saaz boiled in 5 litres of water for 20 mins. strain liquid into fv - then add 6 litres of chilled water and stir the hell out of it whilst adding the dme
add yeast at correct temp (as on packet)
after 2 weeks of fermenting, bottle up , thank me and send me a bottle :laugh8:

3kg of light malt extract
1 MJ cali common yeast
50g saaz boiled in 5 litres of water for 20 mins. strain liquid into fv - then add 6 litres of chilled water and stir the hell out of it whilst adding the dme
add yeast at correct temp (as on packet)
after 2 weeks of fermenting, bottle up , thank me and send me a bottle :laugh8:
Just noticed this post and am interested in giving this recipe a go. However, as a fairly newbie, I have some questions, that I am sure will have some of you rolling in the aisles 😗. 1. Is the 3kg of light malt extract, liquid of powder? 2. I take it that the yeast is the MJ M54 one?. 3. You say to 'stir the hell out of it, whilst adding the DME' I thought it was 3kg of LME that I had to add? 4. How much sugar/dextrose for priming and what temps afterwards?

Thanks in advance

After saying I wanted to try another pilsner my son got me a John bull pilsner after adding 23litres to the kit I used 1kg beer enhancer. Sg 1033 after 8 day's took a reading 1010, then 9 day's 1008, looks like everything is going on the right direction. I plan to bottle up Saturday, total 15 day's. Not sure what abv it's going to be, hopefully not to weakathumb..
15904205565081918347914.jpg

Latest posts

Back