Tonight being a little worse for wear i knocked up a...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch

Regular.
Reaction score
Blackberrys from my garden TC.... reached for the yeasts from the fridge...
dammit

Attachments

• 20210813_221333.jpg
    20210813_221333.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 100
Hi.
Lots of activity going on there!
What weight of berries did you use? What was your OG?
Never thought to use an ale yeast for for a wine either? Looked at the tech sheet for it and it has a 14% tolerance! I haven't done much beer brewing so was surprised by that. Anyone else?
I'm intrigued how this turns out as I love new info.
T

It should be fine. Wine yeast is most commonly Saccharomises Cerevisiae in any case, as is your Nottingham, just a different strain. Try to keep the temperature down to beer fermentation levels to limit ester production and don't be tempted to re-use the bottoms for fermenting beer afterwards as the yeast may have adapted to fermenting a different sugar profile to that found in beers.

Hi.
Lots of activity going on there!
What weight of berries did you use? What was your OG?
Never thought to use an ale yeast for for a wine either? Looked at the tech sheet for it and it has a 14% tolerance! I haven't done much beer brewing so was surprised by that. Anyone else?
I'm intrigued how this turns out as I love new info.
T
mm now theres a thing. i was half oiled when i decided to do it...
i recall i steeped and seived 300g of blackberries. added to 4ltrs aldi juice. pecto and a 200ml or so cold cuppa.
SG was 1047. i remember that. think i wrote it on a label. i will check. currently its on about day 10ish...still bubbling slightly.
i messed up because i reached for thexwrong yeast. i usually use MJ cider yeast however id had a couple and chucked in ale yeast!

It should be fine. Wine yeast is most commonly Saccharomises Cerevisiae in any case, as is your Nottingham, just a different strain. Try to keep the temperature down to beer fermentation levels to limit ester production and don't be tempted to re-use the bottoms for fermenting beer afterwards as the yeast may have adapted to fermenting a different sugar profile to that found in beers.
yes irs been bubbking nicely at around 20 degrees.

Its the sugar profile that makes the difference Griff.

Not all sugars in a beer wort are fermentable,Hence all the talk of % attenuation.

Cider and wines are normally made with plain table sugar which is 100% fermentable.
Thats why the gravity can go lower.

From what I researched rather than personal experience, a beer yeast will often finish around 1010, where a cider yeast will go down to 1000 or lower, my last one finished at 998.
id be happy with that. something sitting at 4% ish perhaps.
all my other tcs finish at 998 and hence 6 plus. too strong for me really.

Latest posts

Back