Tonight's election programming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't like it here it's simple go and live somewhere else.
Don't like it where. Tom?
If you don't like it, you work to change things. And if and when I choose to come back home, I'd like it to be a nice place to come back to. I'd like it to be good for my kids and grand kids, too. So rest assured I'm doing my bit from here.
Good old Emily Thornberry. Never could stand the woman, and I know she didn't say anything, but if she had, I'm sure she'd have been right.
Stockport is, indeed, a lovely place.

We will need our passport driving around the UK in a bit, Scotland Wales Cornwall Yorkshire, where does it end, will be like going back in time lol. I'm not politically bothered by the way.

I could be wrong here but some were in the foggy grey matter, didn't the Irish vote twice to leave the eu and it was thwarted by repeat refs until the right result came in, I believe it happened in Denmark as well,

In my view this thread has, in the main, been conducted in a very civil manner, in spite of a divergence of views.
Since I wrote this yesterday I'm beginning to think the Civility 'swingometer' on this thread is moving from 'generally friendly' to 'beginning to get a bit grumpy' judging by a few posts which have emerged. We are all entitled to our views and you may feel very strongly about yours and feel frustrated when others don't agree or put up something that you think is wrong. However whatever we say on here will make sod all difference to Brexit, Ireland, the NHS, where we choose to live or whatever other subject that crops up. So pause for a millisecond or two to consider what you written before you press the 'Post Reply' Button. It's a friendly homebrew forum you are engaging.....isnt it?

Very correct Terry I agree, and yes no matter what we say on here will make any difference at all, I am now convinced its the politicians who are the children and not us athumb..

Since I wrote this yesterday I'm beginning to think the Civility 'swingometer' on this thread is moving from 'generally friendly' to 'beginning to get a bit grumpy' judging by a few posts which have emerged. We are all entitled to our views and you may feel very strongly about yours and feel frustrated when others don't agree or put up something that you think is wrong. However whatever we say on here will make sod all difference to Brexit, Ireland, the NHS, where we choose to live or whatever other subject that crops up. So pause for a millisecond or two to consider what you written before you press the 'Post Reply' Button. It's a friendly homebrew forum you are engaging.....isnt it?
Amen to that. There's plenty of room to bandy words with the Russian trolls in the "comments" section of the Independent. On the other hand "getting it said" can be cathartic and this pile of poo is going to stick in a great number of craws for a long time, and on both sides of the debate. Whether the Snug is the right place... but where else?
You running for moderator when MyQul succumbs to terminal boredom, terrym? I'd second that. Hoping MyQul's demise is a long way off, by the way. Don't get me wrong.

Very correct Terry I agree, and yes no matter what we say on here will make anty difference at all, I am now convinced its the politicians who are the children and not us athumb..
But they're our "children". We put them there to represent us. They're not our feudal lords even though many think they are. We have got to take responsibility for them,.

I could be wrong here but some were in the foggy grey matter, didn't the Irish vote twice to leave the eu and it was thwarted by repeat refs until the right result came in, I believe it happened in Denmark as well,

Nope, there was never a referendum here to leave the EU.

Since I wrote this yesterday I'm beginning to think the Civility 'swingometer' on this thread is moving from 'generally friendly' to 'beginning to get a bit grumpy' judging by a few posts which have emerged.

Threads discussing football or politics are always a nightmare and rarely end well and i have a feeling this one has got to the point of no return, we will see what happens this evening.

Amen to that. There's plenty of room to bandy words with the Russian trolls in the "comments" section of the Independent. On the other hand "getting it said" can be cathartic and this pile of poo is going to stick in a great number of craws for a long time, and on both sides of the debate. Whether the Snug is the right place... but where else?
You running for moderator when MyQul succumbs to terminal boredom, terrym? I'd second that. Hoping MyQul's demise is a long way off, by the way. Don't get me wrong.

I plan on being here for a long old time,until i succumb to sclerosis or of the liver from drinking too much home brew

We will need our passport driving around the UK in a bit, Scotland Wales Cornwall Yorkshire, where does it end, will be like going back in time lol. I'm not politically bothered by the way.

Im running for Satrap of Peckham, when the Hamlet secedes from the UK

let's wait and see and then if things go wrong you can wear your "I told you so" T shirt and gloat here
This seems to be based on the way they used to try women accused of witchcraft.

The Titanic is approaching an iceberg. A minority of the crew and passengers want emergency action to turn the ship regardless of the fact that this might spill a few gin-and-tonics; the majority do not want to disrupt their thus-far pleasant and luxurious cruise. What happens? They have a vote and the majority win. The minority issue dire warnings and try to get the majority to see sense. The majority tell them to stop bleating and wait and see how it works out; if they (the majority) were wrong and the ship actually hits the iceberg, then they’ll apologise and allow the minority to gloat.

I do not remove posts because i don't like them and resent the accusation but I do remove them if they break the rules so I assume in this instance you posted about brexit when you knew its discussion had been banned.
What I wrote was not intrinsically about Brexit. If you had taken the trouble to read and understand what I wrote you would have realised that it was about democracy and about the potentially calamitous effect on the entire future of the human race if, in the present circumstances, people are allowed to get away with playing fast and loose with democracy. It was set within a context of Brexit because that happens to be the context within which we currently exist and within which a threat to democracy and a threat to the future survival of Homo sapiens has arisen. Insofar as it is possible to make predictions there was an explanation in what I wrote in the post.

Many people seem to believe that democracy is the ultimate and most perfect way of running a society and that a democratic government is the optimal government. This is a belief which I do not share, but given that at present we have a democracy of sorts then it seems to me that democratic principles must be followed. If they are not then the whole thing is nonsense. If people play fast and loose with democratic principles or are selective about which democratic principles they will follow and which they will ignore according to how it suits their own purpose, and they are allowed to get away with so doing, there is no point having a democracy because it ceases to be a democracy.

I do happen to believe that the future survival of Homo sapiens is important, but regrettably most people behave as though they do not believe this. I am fully willing to accept that I may be part of a very small minority in my belief, but I do not accept that I am wrong.

As a slight aside but in the same vein, something similar can be said about the principle of the truth being told by politicians. It is wholly acceptable for a politician to lie when national security is involved, for example in wartime in order to deceive an enemy. It is not acceptable at all for a politician to lie to the public in order to attempt to secure their (democratic) votes in order to get himself into office. In the recent general election it seems that this is precisely what has happened. Regardless of party affiliations it seems that the leadership of both main parties (and possibly others) have abandoned any concept of being honest with the electorate and have told lies wholesale and have made promises which any reasonable analysis shows are impossible to keep, and there can be no reasonable doubt that the leadership of both main parties knew that they were telling lies and making promises which could not be kept. To me this is an assault, albeit indirect, on democracy.
Perhaps the most dispiriting thing is that the public were taken in by it.
For the record, I do not support any of the main political parties.

Some other mindless comments are not worthy of response.
I have other and more important things to do with my time than continue this discussion on this forum; I shall therefore discontinue this particular topic in the absence of exceptional circumstances.

I didn't read that far, I only scrolled down and now my index finger is smaller than my little finger.

What I wrote was not intrinsically about Brexit. If you had taken the trouble to read and understand what I wrote you would have realised that it was about democracy and about the potentially calamitous effect on the entire future of the human race if, in the present circumstances, people are allowed to get away with playing fast and loose with democracy. It was set within a context of Brexit because that happens to be the context within which we currently exist

Well theres a couple of minutes of my life i wont get back, I will keep this short.

The original rule stated that all brexit discussion was banned i cannot remember what you posted but it was brexit related as you have admitted above so it broke the rule and was removed.

Last edited:
Back