Tonka beans??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffolkbeer

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone able to recommend a good recipe for a milk stout/porter/stout containing tonka beans??

I had no idea what a tonka bean was until I tasted Lervig's 3 Bean Stout which was one of the best stouts I've ever tasted. I hope yours turns out well, keep us updated.

Still looking for a recipe....
Not sure how many beans to add and at what point?
Not keen on making a tincture with spirits I’d rather crush them and add at some stage.....

Be very careful with the TONKA, I did a brew last year with them and they are very pungent, also poisoness if used too much.
Nice spicy vanilla aromas but seriously stong

Be very careful with the TONKA, I did a brew last year with them and they are very pungent, also poisoness if used too much.
Nice spicy vanilla aromas but seriously stong

How much did you use and where? I've seen everything from 2.5 beans in the boil to 15 beans as a dry hop. I was thinking of dry hopping with them only and using no more than 5 in 20L?

I ended up using 3 (crushed) for last 10 mins of boil.

I tased after fermentation and decided to add a further 3 (crushed) as a dry hop for 4 days.

Taste and aroma was prominent but not overly so

I ended up using 3 (crushed) for last 10 mins of boil.

I tased after fermentation and decided to add a further 3 (crushed) as a dry hop for 4 days.

Taste and aroma was prominent but not overly so

Whats your opinion? I bought some but was not overly impressed by the flavour, reminded me more of almonds than vanilla.

Latest posts

Back