Tonka Beans

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee111

Reaction score
Hi 👋

I was looking for some advice please.

I’m going to make a stout and I’m looking at adding whisky soaked Tonka beans for 5 days towards the end of fermentation. I’ve never used Tonka beans before so don’t know how to go about this.

I’m looking at making 22L of stout in a pressure fermenter.

Here are my questions….

How many Tonka beans would I need for this?

How long would I need to soak the Tonka beans in the whisky?

How much whisky to add to the beans?

Should they be kept whole or crushed down?

Would you just add the beans or add the whisky the beans are soaking in ?

Cheers

Lee

Last edited:
Use no more than 3 but 1 is enough to get a hint of it. I dont crush them but sort of smash them. One hit to crack the husk. I only soak in enough alcohol to cover them over.

I shall for a couple of days then just lob them into the FV for a few days prior to bottling.

Use no more than 3 but 1 is enough to get a hint of it. I dont crush them but sort of smash them. One hit to crack the husk. I only soak in enough alcohol to cover them over.

I shall for a couple of days then just lob them into the FV for a few days prior to bottling.

Thank you Brewnaldo this has been helpful. Do you just add the beans or the alcohol the beans were sitting in ?

Thank you Brewnaldo this has been helpful. Do you just add the beans or the alcohol the beans were sitting in ?
Just chucked the whole lot in. Whisky once, vodka another time. I had wanted to use rum but didn't have any to hand.

Back