Tony Blair was not "straight with the nation"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All that time and money to tell us something we all knew as soon as we went to war, i feel so sorry for the families of those killed or seriously injured in the conflict as we should never have got involved. (well not until there was no other option)

Tony Blair was not "straight with the nation" about his decisions in the run up to the Iraq War, the chairman of the inquiry into the war has told the BBC.

Speaking for the first time since publishing his report a year ago, Sir John Chilcot discussed why he thinks the former PM made those decisions.

The inquiry concluded that Mr Blair overstated the threat posed by Iraq leader Saddam Hussein and the invasion was not the "last resort" action presented to Parliament, when it backed the action, and the public.

Asked if the former prime minister had been as straight as he could have been with the country and the inquiry, Sir John told the BBC: "Any prime minister taking a country into war has got to be straight with the nation and carry it, so far as possible, with him or her. I don't believe that was the case in the Iraq instance."

He went on: "Tony Blair is always and ever an advocate. He makes the most persuasive case he can. Not departing from the truth but persuasion is everything. Advocacy for my position, 'my Blair position'."

More - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40510540

Sorry to hear that.

This sums my feelings up perfectly and did at the time - Military action at that time was not a last resort.

UK went to war in Iraq before diplomatic options were exhausted, says inquiry head John Chilcot

A seven-year inquiry into the UK's involvement has concluded that London failed to exhaust all peaceful options. Ex-premier Tony Blair said he assumes "full responsibility" for any mistakes that arose from the conflict.

"We have concluded that the UK chose to join the invasion of Iraq before the peaceful options for disarmament had been exhausted. Military action at that time was not a last resort," Chilcot said.

"Despite explicit warnings, the consequences of the invasion were underestimated. The planning and preparations for Iraq after Saddam [Hussein] were wholly inadequate," he noted.

In 2003, British forces joined the US invasion of Iraq, which eventually led to the capture of the late Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

Prior to the invasion, London had joined Washington in alleging an "imminent threat" from weapons of mass destruction. However, the inquiry found Hussein posed "no imminent threat."

http://www.dw.com/en/uk-went-to-war...ted-says-inquiry-head-john-chilcot/a-19381414

Well he was pushed...very hard by the presidents prongs. I wonder. ..did they saw his horns off or does his pelt hide them?

no one could argue with that. T.B should be held accountable for what he done.
my brother in law had problems when he got home from iraq. he told me that there was loads in his troop that were in a bad way.

And what worse, is that some Lawyer will take you to court afterwards!!
Its Bliar who should be in court

Back