Too cold.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CD

Retired Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our local Jazz Club has resumed holding Jigs after 20 months of lockdown, and yesterday evening I was taken by my assistant brewer (retired) to see Black Cat Jazz at the British Legion. Past experience has shown that the beers there are served so cold as to be tasteless, so I went prepared with a pair of gloves to wear when cradling my pint glass to try and warm it up, as well as a wine waiter’s thermometer. Sure enough the Salcombe Brewery Seahorse – the only draught they had -was down to 6 ½ C . I don’t like to complain as it’s a super venue for the Club.

1637602551961.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Clint. On the other hand, if he's drawing from casks in an outhouse or an uninsulated cellar, he's probably serving at ambient tremperature. If so, it can't be doing the beer in the cask much good, either. Too sweet, I would reckon.

The trick here may be to order 3 pints to start and buy another as you drink one. The first pint would be sacrificial, the second a bit subdued maybe but better from that point on. ;)

I drink with a chap who likes his beer 'warm' and does exactly this. Doesn't help with the first drink but if you buy a round ahead it gives the next one time to warm up a bit.

I don’t think I could get away with running a lead across the room to the nearest socket as the dancers would trip over it. However some chemical warming gadget might work. I have used the candle they put on tables to de-freeze beer, but it takes a hell of a time! I don't like my beer 'warm' or 'cold',, I like it 'cool'

Our local Jazz Club has resumed holding Jigs after 20 months of lockdown, and yesterday evening I was taken by my assistant brewer (retired) to see Black Cat Jazz at the British Legion. Past experience has shown that the beers there are served so cold as to be tasteless, so I went prepared with a pair of gloves to wear when cradling my pint glass to try and warm it up, as well as a wine waiter’s thermometer. Sure enough the Salcombe Brewery Seahorse – the only draught they had -was down to 6 ½ C . I don’t like to complain as it’s a super venue for the Club.

View attachment 58077
I'm incredibly impressed you remembered your thermometer! 🤣😂🍻

Years ago I drank with a lovely American man in London. He would order 2 pints of Guinness and put one on the hearth in front of a blazing log fire. He got some very strange looks.....

Coz I dont like standing in a busy bar,I used to buy two pints at a time at my local.
After a while the barman said to me,You come in on your own so why the two pints,????

For my invisible friend I replied 😁

It worked,!!!! After that my pints started being poured the moment I walked through the door.

I'm incredibly impressed you remembered your thermometer! 🤣😂🍻
They usually have Tribute on, and the plan was to forward the photo to St Austell Brewery with the hope that they would get their Rep to have a quiet word in the bar manager’s ear regarding the correct temperature at which to serve their beer.

I know them a bit from various past issues, but not the Salcombe newcomers. I noticed the trumpet player at the gig cradling his beer in his hands to try and warm it up, so it’s not just me.

The fact that you went equipped with a thermometer to the British Legion in expectation of 'doing a science' when you got there says a lot about you. And the fact that nobody in the thread so far thinks that's wierd says a lot about the rest of us. I salute you sir! :)
We are all anoraks of the highest order.

Back